Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

InActive Member

Status

Default Baer / Alcon Four Piston Front Pinchers. If doing this: READ THIS. Done it? HELP

Well... It wouldn't be a Camaro if something went smooth, so... guess how the brake job went.

I was going to finish the coil thing today, but decided to just toss on the spindles... so I shot back over to the junk yard to pick 'em up. Here's what he gave me.

No problem... I've never done this before, so it's a learnin' opportunity. EMBRACED!

Took 'em apart; the hard way... and got down to what I needed and decided to go the extra mile and took the right angle sanding wheel to 'em, primed and painted:

Then I went to work installing what we had:

96 Z LTx. 396 Forged Eagle BE, AFR195s, CR 12.5:1 Comp Ultra-Pro Mag1.6 RRs, Lt-4 Intake, 42lb FI, 58mm TB, Comp 292XFI Cam, Kook LTs, PerformaBuilt Lvl-3, SS 3600, 4" DS, Spooled Strange D-60 w/5.13s, BMR K-mem & A-arms, Hotchkis out back, Mazeire, MSD Digi-6 , Nano-N2O, 75 shot: 7.28 @ 95.7 1.6 60' - New Build: NA-SF 7.4 1.6 60' 93 Mph

InActive Member

Status

Then... things took a turn.

The geometry didn't work... put the rotor on and it didn't line up. And it didn't line up precisely the dimension of the Baer adapter bracket at 180 degrees. Shit...

So fuck it, a quick trip to the Home D for some cutting wheels for the grinder (two earlier trips had not managed to get them, but I have a nice new set of ratchet wrenches that were on sale...). Came back and 'fabbed' up the spindle to accommodate the bracket. PERFECT! :

And everything went beautifully for a little bit... Geometry problem solved!

OH! AND VIVA LE DIFFERENCE!

All that was left to do was put the wheel on and go to the other side...

Wheel... does not fit!

:bang: :flipbird: :bang: :flipbird: :bang: :flipbird: :bang: :flipbird:

So, tomorrow we begin looking for the solution for that unforeseen challenge.

Any ideas?
    96 Z LTx. 396 Forged Eagle BE, AFR195s, CR 12.5:1 Comp Ultra-Pro Mag1.6 RRs, Lt-4 Intake, 42lb FI, 58mm TB, Comp 292XFI Cam, Kook LTs, PerformaBuilt Lvl-3, SS 3600, 4" DS, Spooled Strange D-60 w/5.13s, BMR K-mem & A-arms, Hotchkis out back, Mazeire, MSD Digi-6 , Nano-N2O, 75 shot: 7.28 @ 95.7 1.6 60' - New Build: NA-SF 7.4 1.6 60' 93 Mph

InActive Member

Status

I looked it over this morning and, as is often the case... it was not as bad as it looked last night. 8mm spacer seems to be all it's going to take, plus the longer studs... blah, blah, blah.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    greg
    Vehicle
    1995 z28

Uh oh

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    94' Z28

Theres always Something to go wrong in a 4th gen. That is what I feel most of the appeal comes from tho. Call me crazy; but I enjoy the slight hiccups. It shows that they have soul and character.

OP Youll love the new bigger brakes. I switched to C5's when I first got my car and it is one of the best mods ive ever done.