Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Linking us back to another site for updates?

Bad form
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Aaron
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

@shownomercy Its just because I started the thread over there, it would be too much of a headache to do it all again over here. Since half the members here are members there. Including you......
    Check out my 97 Turbo Trans Am Build Here --> = B( . )Y( . )STED

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Guillaume
    Vehicle
    95 Caprice & 89 RX7

Quote Originally Posted by SwampWS6 View Post
    it would be too much of a headache to do it all again over here.
    Just before you click "post reply", select all, copy and paste it here. Voila!
    It takes 10 seconds and people like me who aren't on the other forum can see your updates.
    1989 Mazda RX7 Turbo II, 357ci LT1, AI TFS CNC heads, Garrett GTX4708R, Ford 8.8" SAS, TH400. (Current project)
    1995 Chevy Caprice, Twin turbo 357ci LT1, 9.96 @ 141.2 mph (sold)

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Aaron
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

@GuillaumeC gimme a sec

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Aaron
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

I guess I mine as well post pics of my build. Not the best of pics and documentation but ask questions if your curious about anything. Last phone got pretty much destroyed with all the in depth pics I will update the build when things changes. So bare with me

This is a 97 Trans Am WS6. It all started out as a head cam swap to make it a little fun street car. After doing some research and discussing some things with the guys here, I found that it was not ideal to do a head cam swap on a LT1 that has 130k miles on it. At that point I said screw it and rebuilt the motor myself. It feels good to have buit something with your own hands.

This is the pig. Picked up in KC for $3K

Started removing minor things to get the show on the road

Out with the T56

Removed the entire engine from bottom. Very easy and simple. Especially with a lift

Now the actual fun part. Disassembling the stock motor.

Parts started to roll in an phone got destroyed a little after this point

Slowly started putting things back together

Had this TC7875 turbo. Was going to run it but started second guessing myself. More concerned with back pressure issues

So I was spec'd out this turbo. And I was informed that it was a good idea to make the change

Here is the results of the missing pics along with my new BMR K member

The story behind this next pic. The whole reason I went turbo was I found a deal on CRAIGSLIST (yea I know). So this guy was selling this kit that was LT1 specific. Which was kinda odd to me because not too much LT1 stuff is still around, especially turbo stuff. The kit included 2 garret turbos hotside, cold side, intercooler, boost controller etc. Basically everything I needed to make the turbo kit function properly. But me being a dumbass and being excited I jumped on the deal. It caused me more harm than help. I spent $1K and regret it everyday. So once I got the motor built and ready for mock up, nothing fit. Everything was crap. The only thing out of the entire kit I kept was the intercooler. I had to basically start over and figure out how I was gonna make this setup work. To make matters worse, he lied about specs and brands and pretty much everything. Wouldnt answer my calls or questions so I was stuck. I learned my lesson from jumping into forced induction without a lot of knowledge and understanding of a lot of things.

At this point I said screw it and installed the motor and took it to my friend who is a great fabricator to get my hot/coldside built. Best money I'd ever spent

Added MWC bumper support, stood radiator up for turbo clearance, 98-02 front clip conversion to allow air flow for intercooler and added fender exhaust exit.

I will continue to update until D day. Wish me luck. And thanks for all the advice some of you guys have given me :burn:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Aaron
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Update: Got started on wrapping the hotside with my heat wrap this past weekend. I was very excited to get my care package from PTP Turbo Blankets (http://ptpturboblankets.com/). Ran outta material for my downpipe, so I am currently waiting on that to arrive

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Aaron
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Started on the TH400 last night and what a mess. Got this for free from a semi flooded basement, so it was all types of crap was floating in there. Got it disassembled and taking it to the car wash today to get it all cleaned up. The parts washer is broken so doing it the old school way. A couple cans of de-greaser and I should have it looking all purdy

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Aaron
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Got the TH400 buttoned up last night. Slow progress but got it done. It was fun but also time consuming and frustrating. But with these 2 hands I damn near built my own car. Rewarding if it all works

Here installed the TSI transbrake. So excited about it. But since I will be on the 10 bolt for a while I will not get to use this feature as of yet.

Here is everything complete. I added a deep TSI aluminum oil pan. Nice quality stuff right there. Next I hope to install after I purchase my SFI flexplate and converter. I will be working on wiring the car, adding the fluids, measuring the DS and purchasing torque arm. Wish me luck!

that header wrap is bang on

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Aaron
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by projectbirdshot View Post
    that header wrap is bang on
    I had a 100ft of it but ran outta real estate. I just ordered another 25ft just to cover the down pipe alone. I dont know what I would have done if I ran the exhaust through the K member. Easily 200ft of wrap which would = $$$$

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast