Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

InActive Member

Status

Default average price for a 8 point cage install???

wanting to know what people are paying to have an 8 point cage installed in their fbody. going to have one put in sometime around march for the ltx shootout and just want to make sure i dont get charged to much.
    DD: 01 RCLB Duramax 500hp/1000tq
    Project 95Z: cam, nitrous, stuff...

VIP Member

Status

I'll ask someone tommrow for you. A friend of mine installed his the day before he went to the LSX Shootout, I was there with him until about 10:30 at night detailing cars before they were put on a trailor or being driven. Who makes the cage? Any links to it?

2008 Corvette Z06 | 2002 Corvette Z06 | 2002 NHRA Formula

InActive Member

Status

o it wont be a pre-made kit, the guy that is going to do it for me builds dirt track cars. he hates kits bc "they never fit right". i waterjet all of his bracketry for his cars and in turn he normally does work for free if i need anything. but something this big he said he will have to charge.

VIP Member

Status

The same guy that installed his right before the LTX Shootout just took it out to install a lighter one. It fit really good too.. If you want one custom made, its probibly going to cost a lot more than if they were pre-made. There are quite a few great quality ones out there.. I actually think hes got some pictures of it somewhere too, and its still up for sale if you are interested... Otherwise, you are probibly going to be paying a lot more for a "custom made" one that will still be similar to some of these pre-made ones.

I'll ask too tommrow then if you would like how much it would be for a custom 8-point cage is then.

$125-$200 per point. For example an 8 point will run anywhere from $1000-$1600.

Your friend is correct in that those "kits" don't fit very good. They fit "OK", but a builder will be able to make them WAYYYYY better. Ask him to make it out of chromoly if you can swing the extra bucks. The guy doing my cage usually does DOM steel which runs around $4 a foot, and you need approximately 40 feet to do an 8 point in an f-bod. Chromoly runs about $7 a foot, but it weighs a lot less. An 8-point cage of DOM will weigh about 75-85lbs, a chromoly cage will weigh about 45-55lbs. Thats a very big weight savings for an additional $120 or so in material costs.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

VIP Member

Status

Johnny's (Studderin) cage looked like it fit perfectly in his car. I think the only reason why hes buying a new one (which I think is also pre-made) is because its 30lbs lighter (I think its a chromoly one).

Obviously the custom made ones will be better quality as long as you have a good fabricator do the work, but there are some good pre-made ones out there too. Johnnys cage looked like it went in pretty easily, and fit good too.

InActive Member

Status

ya he will be doing it out of chromoly and said he norm charges about $1000 for a 8 point but is working on a better price for me. so we will see what happens.

VIP Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro_94 View Post
    Johnny's (Studderin) cage looked like it fit perfectly in his car. I think the only reason why hes buying a new one (which I think is also pre-made) is because its 30lbs lighter (I think its a chromoly one).

Obviously the custom made ones will be better quality as long as you have a good fabricator do the work, but there are some good pre-made ones out there too. Johnnys cage looked like it went in pretty easily, and fit good too.
    sorry to jack the thread but where did he get it from?
    2004 gto
    1995 z28 going
    2004 grand prix GTP(DD)gone

studderin's is a wolfe cage.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast