Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Thread: 4L60E Rebuild

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Default 4L60E Rebuild

I have a 94 Z28.Im wanting to upgrade my trans. while im doing my engine.were is the best place for parts.I checked summit and jegs.they just had your average rebuild kits.Were can I get the bigger kits and parts Better gears clutchs and so on?
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

We have a sponsor (Cpt) that builds/rebuilds trannys (the kind that go behind an engine... not the man that looks like Madonna kind).
    @Cahall

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

LOL... When I see these posts, I have to take a deep breath and figure out how to word things without sounding like a complete asshole...LOL. First question... How much 4L60E building experience do you have? A 4L60E definitely isn't a "beginners transmission". The reason we ship transmissions nationwide is because most professional transmission builders can't even get them right...LOL. While there are many home mechanics out there who can fake their way through a TH350 or a TH400, the 4L60E is a different animal. These transmissions are plagued with many design flaws that no book or video will show you how to fix. There are 6 different design flaws that contribute to repeated 3-4 clutch failure alone. I won't even mention how many times I've heard, "my buddy has built a couple transmissions, but he just wants me to get a kit." Here's the problem with that approach. If your buddy knows what he's doing with a 4L60E, he's going to be very specific about what parts he wants to use, and he will be able to tell you where to get them. The next thing I need to ask is, do you have all the specialty tools to build a 4L60E? Spring compressors for the drums and case? A bushing driver set specific to a 4L60E? snap ring pliers? pump alignment band? Lip seal tool? Bushing cutter? Teflon seal installer/sizers? I ring pliers? Servo pin length tool? Numbered drill bit set? Picks? Air compressor? Work bench? Holding fixture? Solvent tank? Not to mention the general hand tools. The average 4L60E requires atleast $500 in specialty tools to build CORRECTLY. the reason I emphasized CORRECTLY is because I get stuff in here all the time that has been "built" half assed. "Builds" where everything wasn't disassembled completely because they didn't have the correct tools. I get transmissions in here all the time in boxes because average mechanics think they can build one, or something someone put together wrong and it tore up a bunch of hard parts. Yes, there have been a few success stories, but they're not real common. We see guys all the time spend a bunch of money on tools and parts to either put something together that doesn't work or only has a very short life span. We see these guys that build their own and when they can't get it to hold up, they want to blame the transmission and want to switch to something else...LOL. Now, I want to address the concept of "transmission kits" as a whole. The reality is, most "kits" out there are either crap or incomplete. The reason being that a "kit" will only allow the use of the same brand parts to make up that kit. We use parts from 10-14 different manufacturers so that we can use the best of everything available. For instance, I use al Alto 2-4 band, but I won't use Alto clutches. I use a Fairbanks 2nd servo, but a Sonnax 4th servo. Some clutches work better in certain transmissions than others. I relate it to engine parts. One of the most popular intake manifolds for the SBC is the Edelbrock Victor Jr. The reality is, you won't ever see an Edelbrock carburetor on top of that intake on a serious drag car. Yes, I have put "kits" together for a couple guys with the parts we use. They have been guys that have the correct tools, and some experience. The problem with selling "kits" is, it puts me in a position of liability. If a guy puts something together wrong and it fails, the first thing he wants to blame is the parts I sold him...LOL Selling parts also makes me the built in "tech line", and I end up building the transmissions on the phone or in e mails...LOL. That takes time away from me actually building stuff here in the shop...
    With all that being said, I love the idea of enthusiasts wanting to tackle new projects... But it has to be something that's really in your comfort zone. There are many things on cars that I take to professionals to do for a reason. I may be able to build transmissions, but I'm not going to attempt sewing up my own upholstery or painting it...LOL. I also understand that people like to try to save money. From most experiences we've seen, guys trying to build their own.
    4L60es usually ends up costing more money than if they would have just had a pro do it.
    Now that I've said all this, I'll tell you that if you still want to tackle it yourself, I'll help in any way I can. The "kits" I've sold for a transmission to mirror our "Pro Race" build have ran $850. Keep in mind that if we build that trans, it's $1550. We have 4L60E builds starting at $850 though.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPT For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Thanks Frank for all the info.Theres a guy back here that does them.He has all the tools and does a good job.Hes done them for years too.Hes a pro mechanic.He worked for the local Chevy dealer and retired.But he got board and went into business him self.He told me he could get me the parts threw him.But I wanted too see if i could get cheaper.i wanted TCI parts.But I didnt see were they had complete kits.I looked into Monster trans parts and trans.So I figured I would ask on here.I thought they might be a sponsor on here that would have the kits.Again thanks for getting back to me.How can I get a hold of you?
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Im no transmission guy but there have been a few horror stories floating around about monster.... idk if its their abilities or parts. Just food for thought.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Quote Originally Posted by beaver50 View Post
    How can I get a hold of you?
    My cell number is 302-250-1202. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cahall View Post
    My cell number is 302-250-1202. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Frank
    Thanks for the #.Ill call you for sure if I need something.
    BEAVER

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

I used transmissionpartsUSA.com for my homebuilt trans. I would think your builder would have his own supplier and choice of parts.
    When I built my 4l60 and 4t65e I used the forums and researched hundreds of the top sponsor posts for how they build their trans. Getting bits and peices of info everywhere on how to set it up. Its physically easy to build one, but like stated there are specialty tools some you can fab.

Bottom line if you are asking where to get parts,no offense but you should look into a trans from a reputable builder to avoid huge headaches.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gmpowered For This Post: