Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

The 4/7 cam will only cost about $110 more than a regular order cam and the LSM 4/7 2/3 can be had for <$80 on top of that. Seems like a worthwhile investment being that I'll already have the capability with the 24x setup and it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I understand that the stock volume pump is more than enough for drag only apps where the motors usually get torn down at the end of every season, but I'm talking about a street car that will be between idle and 2500 rpm 95% of the time. The accusump should help out with cold starts and reduce wear, but how many street miles do you think a motor with 25/25+ clearances and a std vol pump will last? Not exactly a max effort build and I'm willing to sacrifice some power for longevity. I think as long as the pump drive doesn't get chewed up I'd rather have more pressure down low.

Was thinking about the Moroso 20182 6 qt pan and adding a better baffle to go with the 10552 pump. Thoughts?

Crank is a Lunati racer series (4340) 3.75" with gigantic .140 radii.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

More pressure isn't always a good thing. .. 40 lbs at idle is stupid and just puts undue stress on things. ..

Standard volume will be fine but it looks like you have already made up your mind.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

That's not what I'm looking for and 40+ is too much. This is why I want real life experiences to take into account rather than just slapping it together with whatever pump to find out it's not where I want it to be. Only things I have to base my decisions off are some scattered posts across the web (including some concerning low pressure down low w/cross drilling) and some diagrams I can't say I fully believe. This is why I'm looking for examples.

Shownomercy is seeing 40psi @ hot idle
    HV pump that is much more likely to be +25% than +10%
    15W40 is thicker than what I'd be running (probably 5W30)
    Crank probably isn't cross-drilled
    Probably isn't running an oil cooler
    However, clearances are slightly looser (yet, I'm still not 100% certain on what mine will be)

If my motor sat around 30psi I'd be happy. Under 20psi and I'd be concerned.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

I run 5 w 30 amsoil ... bearings and rings set up according for an n20 motor. Stock volume / pressure pump.. 27 lbs at idle .

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

My first build (the one in my dads Camaro) I removed the high pressure spring from the pump and replaced it with a lower pressure spring (been 14 years ago, I can't remember the brand or part number), but it had 20# at idle and about 40 wot
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

I run the 15w40 cause its cheap and usually I have it laying around from truck oil changes. I would have experimented with going with the lighter rottella stuff, synthetic 5w40 but, my heap decided to commit suicide. Which, at WOT and no oil pressure for god knows how long my bearings looked pretty awesome, so something was working well.

As stated before, I know its stupid but having good oil pressure at hot idle makes me feel safer, and I can always adjust wastegate ramp in to make more power. Rottella works great for my diesel and hot turbos getting feed engine oil so I like that work history in my car for relatively cheap.

In the end, it will all work, and odds are, you will never need that extra few HP... we are making street hot rods, not bracket/grudge cars like dawdaw. IMO of course.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Kyles car is no joke. Gonna drag some asses next year for sure
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Quote Originally Posted by firebird_1995 View Post
    Kyles car is no joke. Gonna drag some asses next year for sure
    He better be on kill come LTX2k15.

Should be a good time indeed

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    I run the 15w40 cause its cheap and usually I have it laying around from truck oil changes. I would have experimented with going with the lighter rottella stuff, synthetic 5w40 but, my heap decided to commit suicide. Which, at WOT and no oil pressure for god knows how long my bearings looked pretty awesome, so something was working well.

As stated before, I know its stupid but having good oil pressure at hot idle makes me feel safer, and I can always adjust wastegate ramp in to make more power. Rottella works great for my diesel and hot turbos getting feed engine oil so I like that work history in my car for relatively cheap.

In the end, it will all work, and odds are, you will never need that extra few HP... we are making street hot rods, not bracket/grudge cars like dawdaw. IMO of course.
    To much oil pressure sunshine ...

Just curious do you have an oil temp gauge in the car?

Man Chris I got to get it to be consistent now lol...

Quote Originally Posted by dawdaw View Post
    To much oil pressure sunshine ...

Just curious do you have an oil temp gauge in the car?

Man Chris I got to get it to be consistent now lol...
    An oil temp gauge is on my list but that's a snowball thing... if it is bad, do I install a cooler, lines, remote filter etc etc etc...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast