Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Cory Schaefer
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Default 96 LT1 Camaro vs 00 Mustang GT

1996 Camaro - Intake, Loudmouth, Street Tires, A4
    2000 Mustang - Intake, OR X pipe, not sure what mufflers, 4.10 gears, street tires, M6

So a few nights ago I was going to meet up with a guy to race his 1971 Camaro. I waited at the place we were going to meet up at for 30 minutes and he didn't show, so I had someone call him and he sent them to voicemail, so at this point I was a little mad that he called me out for a race and then didn't show up. As I am about to leave I get a call from my friend with a Mustang Gt and he says that he wants to race. (How lucky was that) So we end up running 6 times on this road, 3 times down and 3 times back. Our first 5 races weren't good races, either he would spin off the line and I would pull a good 5 car lengths or vice versa. Our last race however was a very close race, I have the video if anybody would want to see it, not the best quality since it was at night, but anyway, he honks off and on the 3rd honk we go, we both spin off the line and we are dead even, I start to pull ahead by a door length when he shifts into second. We stay at about that distance all the way until he hits 4th gear and he starts to creep up, but we let off before he passed me, so it was a win for me, it was probably the closest race I have ever had aside for a run in with an lt1 trans am which will be another story. Like I said if anybody wants to see the video just let me know.
    1996 Camaro Z/28 - SLP Loudmouth 1, K&N Cold Air Intake (Friend thinks I have a shift kit but I have no proof, so not listing it as a mod)

13.95 @ 100 with the stock 273 gears and some worn street tires

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro

Doesn't surprise me. Those years are a bit slower in bone stock form vs a LT1. You'd think the 4.10s would have helped him edge you out but I suppose the 5 speed makes it a driver's race.
    1994 Z28 - Forged 355/TDP T56. Heads, Cam, Nitrous, Suspension and no more opti!

Back in 2004 I test drove a GT at a dealer. Got on it pretty much the entire time and it sucked so bad that I wanted to punch a Nun.
    Salesperson asked me what I thought and I told him it was just like driving my Grandmas Camry, but at least Ford put a circle around their problem so at least I gave them an A for effort... And proceeded to walk away.

So yeah nothing big with the GT's, but give it a shot against a Cobra. The only problem is that trying to look for an owner that is will to race.
    -Josh
    If my job doesn't kill me, my car will...

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Cory Schaefer
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter Z View Post
    So yeah nothing big with the GT's, but give it a shot against a Cobra. The only problem is that trying to look for an owner that is will to race.
    Funny thing is my dad recently picked up a 96 mystic cobra, we have raced at the track, but he can't hook up, he is running low 15's and I am running high 13's to low 14's depending on the day, never raced him on the street though.
    1996 Camaro Z/28 - SLP Loudmouth 1, K&N Cold Air Intake (Friend thinks I have a shift kit but I have no proof, so not listing it as a mod)

13.95 @ 100 with the stock 273 gears and some worn street tires