Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    luis hernandez
    Vehicle
    1988 Trans Am

Default Hello0o0o0o So. Cal LTX !

Hi, located in the Inland Empire area, just migrated over from TGO . I plan on swapping an LT1 into my T/A, hopefully I can learn enough from this forum to make my swap a little easier.20140414_104216.jpg
    Last edited by birdstheword; 05-16-2014 at 03:43 AM.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Welcome to the site. SO happy to see people still chosing the LT for swaps. YOU def found the right site for help and advice. Tell us more about urself and ur plans....

We also love pics... So please post up, and start a build thread when the time comes. WELCOME TO THE FAM!!!!

LTXtech.com is my DRUG!

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Awesome man. Been to visit the empire area a time or two. Car looks clean. Anything done to it or the CA smog rules holding you down? Haha

Making you silky smooth...

Moderator | Founding Member

Status
    Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Welcome Luis! Nice to see another So Cal enthusiast.
    [ Nick ]
    '94 Z. H/C/I with nearly every bolt on known to the f-body owner.

[ Album | FQuick ]

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    luis hernandez
    Vehicle
    1988 Trans Am

wow, thanks for the warm welcome. The donor is a '94 Trans Am, I bought the car about a month ago for $900.00 wich later turned out to be 1300.00 because PO said it ran but shut off when it got hot, he claimed it was the ignition control module (wasn't the issue). I switched out the sensor right then and there but as soon as i got on the freeway it stalled. I would have to reset the PCM and it would get me going for 7 miles then it would do it again. I ended up doing this for about 25 miles then my father freaked out and said it was too dangerous, he said to park it somewhere and we would come back the next day with a trailer. the next day as i'm leaving my neighborhood my dad's truck stalls. turns out one of the EGT sensors is bad (Ford F450). So, I ended up renting a uhaul truck and the trailer . After all the driving and what not the total was 1300.00. The car itself is not stock. It has a 3'' flowmaster catback with a spintech muffler,Had TTII's . other than that the rest of the car is untouched. Initially i planned for an L98 swap but god knows everyone wants your left nut for a 'corvette' motor especially if it's speed density. After seeing the add on CL for the trans am I made up my mind that my T/A was getting an LT1. After reading endless build threads I suddenly realized how much better the LT1 is than the old L98. so, here I am . My plan for the motor is to first swap it into my '88 and take it to the smog ref. and make the swap legal. After i do that i'd like to build up something capable of 450 RWHP or enough to beat my dads 'vert C6 LS2/t56 on stock runflats. For the top end i'm thinking LE3 package (hopefully I can pass smog with this setup), along with supporting valvetrain. For the bottom end I really don't know what to do . Stock crank with forged rods and pistons OR buy a forged 355 kit . Is a 355 a stroker? another thing i'm trying to figure out is CR and how high i can go on 91 octane. many more questions to be asked, for now that's all, don't want to make this a super long post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status
    Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Why does everyone hate that driver's side rear quarter (rhetorical)? The last two fourth gens I purchased both had damage in the same spot. I can't even count how many others I've seen the same way.

A 355 is not a stroker. Generally speaking, they are both bored .030" over. The "stroker" term simply signifies a longer crankshaft stroke. With a 355, you can reuse the stock crank -- which is still capable of supporting a good amount of power. You and I are in the same boat being in CA and shooting for mid 400 HP while maintaining emissions and being able to run 91. I've been struggling with my build for a while now. Decided to push forward with a 383 (stroker) and AI top end. Your cam choice is going to greatly impact whether or not it will pass the sniffer. Watch that duration & overlap. Lloyd (LE) recommended a static compression ratio under 12 and dynamic CR of 8.7 - 8.8 at the absolute highest with good tune in order to run 91. This is consistent with what I have seen elsewhere. I managed to get mine within the limitations while staying as high as I dared to go. Lloyd will be able to walk you through the options though. You're in good hands.
    [ Nick ]

[ Album | FQuick ]

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    luis hernandez
    Vehicle
    1988 Trans Am

here's a few more pictures so you can get an idea of the condition the car is in .
    Attached Images Attached Images

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    luis hernandez
    Vehicle
    1988 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by McCauleyWB View Post
    Why does everyone hate that driver's side rear quarter (rhetorical)? The last two fourth gens I purchased both had damage in the same spot. I can't even count how many others I've seen the same way.

A 355 is not a stroker. Generally speaking, they are both bored .030" over. The "stroker" term simply signifies a longer crankshaft stroke. With a 355, you can reuse the stock crank -- which is still capable of supporting a good amount of power. You and I are in the same boat being in CA and shooting for mid 400 HP while maintaining emissions and being able to run 91. I've been struggling with my build for a while now. Decided to push forward with a 383 (stroker) and AI top end. Your cam choice is going to greatly impact whether or not it will pass the sniffer. Watch that duration & overlap. Lloyd (LE) recommended a static compression ratio under 12 and dynamic CR of 8.7 - 8.8 at the absolute highest with good tune in order to run 91. This is consistent with what I have seen elsewhere. I managed to get mine within the limitations while staying as high as I dared to go. Lloyd will be able to walk you through the options though. You're in good hands.
    Both rear quarters are F***** . Same goes for front and rear bumpers.
    A stroker is out of the question for me . Machining and parts would make my build cost go through the roof.
    Who's doing your tuning. I Emailed Westech but no reply yet.

Status
    Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by birdstheword View Post
    Both rear quarters are F***** . Same goes for front and rear bumpers.
    A stroker is out of the question for me . Machining and parts would make my build cost go through the roof.
    Who's doing your tuning. I Emailed Westech but no reply yet.
    I started out the same way. Initially, I was going to do a simple H/C rebuild after my head gaskets failed. It looked like I was going to need some machine work to true things up after examining it. As long as I was doing that, plans turned in to a 355 then a 383 soon after. More displacement should make it easier to pass emissions while also adding a bit more low-end fun. Not looking to build this particular project a second time, so I've come to grip over the cost as long as it lasts another 100 thousand miles. Here's hoping

Other than the mail order tunes, I haven't found many places locally that I'd trust. Most of the LTX tuners in So Cal have moved on to other things over the years. There is a dyno shop in Lawndale that I was referred to by the owner of a Procharged '93 who worked with them. This shop is one of two places I am considering for my shortblock work. If you find a good place, I'd appreciate the info.
    [ Nick ]

[ Album | FQuick ]

Lurker

Status

Welcome aboard. I'm from the high desert area. About 30 min up the cajon pass in apple valley. Not a huge Fbody gathering out here but there are a few. I'm actually in the spot of putting my car back to stock so it will be smog legal again. Hopefully I can do heads and cam to make up for the lost power of the long tubes I'm removing.
    Also, the third gen will be cake to swap. You can use so much of your donor car to swap over to it. Just make sure you put every single piece of smog equipment on the Third gen that came off the fourth gen. It's a pain out here, but if you do it clean and not hacked up they won't give you as much trouble. Looking forward to seeing the swap. I really want to do that swap one day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast