Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

Default project car: 94 z/28 m6

Ok, so I am finally posting a build thread for my car. It is a 94 z/28 Camaro m6 that I bought in November 2012 for $1500. The guy i bought it off said he had blown the original motor and swapped in a lt1 out of an 95 impalla ss and hadnt driven it much after the swap. so i test drove it a bunch and decided to buy it as a project. well halfway home the motor started to develop a ticking noise. i got it home and started trying to diagnose what the noise was as well as doing the usual tune up items and fluid changes. i did a valve adjustment and that seemed to get rid of the noise for the most part. then it started eating through belts like crazy the more i drove it and i figured out that the harmonic balancer was sticking out about a half inch further that the accessories causing the belt to get kicked off. i did some research and found that the crank hub on an impalla pushes the balancer out farther than the f-body hub does. the car already had a K&N intake, edelbrock shorties, magnaflow cat back and a stage 2 ebay clutch. the plan for the car is to be a weekend toy and i want to get into autocross/roadracing with it at some point as well. it will rarely see the dragstrip at all as it will be setup for handling, but it would be fun to see what it runs though.

i will try to bring it up to the present state, but here are some pics of the car when i first got it home

i decided to pull the motor over the winter and swap in a 383 ltx long block that was built by golen engines here in NH. here are some pics of the
    teardown and removal of the motor

motors out!

heads/intake off

the new motor has the stock aluminum heads and intake that have been ported and have new springs/valves installed, a cast scat crank, with scat forged i-beam rods and wiseco forged pistons at 9.5:1 compression, along with comp 1.6rr and a custom comp cam (214/224, 555/568, lsa 115). i plan on putting a d1sc @8lbs on it at some point but for now will be running it n/a while i build the drive train and suspension to support that.

then i assembled the new front end which consists of a BMR tubular k-member, upper and lower adjustable a-arms, and a set of double adjustable viking coilovers with the 550lb springs. i blasted and painted the upper mount and spindles and put new timken hubs on

trans bolted back up. i decided to put the ebay clutch back on since it was brand new and i figured i would give it a try since i have it

pacesetter longtubes installed, much easier than doing it when the motor is in the car as well as a BMR trans crossmember with torque arm mount and a hust shifter

lowering the car onto the subframe

aaand its in!

this is my brake setup: stock, repainted calipers with EBC redstuff pads and rotors. i will be getting the same setup for the rear as well. when these wear out i will look into a big brake setup, but for now this will do just fine.

i have the radiator and fans reinstalled, BBK 58mm TB installed, brake lines hooked back up (need to bleed them), tick master installed (need to bleed), i have the viking rear coilover kit with 150lb springs from UMI on the way, BMR adjustable panhard bar installed and a set of their adj lower control arms waiting to go on, strano hollow sways, a set of bosch 42lb injectors, and the drive shaft is in. that brings it up to the present.

let me know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions!
    Last edited by hokeplaya05; 03-12-2014 at 07:40 AM.

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

i am trying to get the car done and driving for when the snow melts, which should be in the next month or so. i still have to hook up the engine harness, top off fluids, bleed the brakes and clutch, find a set of valve covers that will clear the roller rockers (thinking cantons) install my alt and belt, finish up the exhaust (install ORY, cutout and magnaflow cat back), install the SLP CAI i got off a member here and get a tune. over the summer i will update the wheels with a set of black c6 zo6 18x10.5s on all four corners from OE wheels and 295/35s tires.

future plans are an aluminum driveshaft, moser 12 bolt rear with 4.10s and LSD, big brake kit, McLeod RXT clutch when the ebay one goes, a cowl hood (still deciding on what brand, leaning towards a harwood), install my Mcnord lt1 front bumper and SS wing and paint the car. then farther down the road i want to put a d1sc supercharger kit on with FMIC at around 8lbs of boost. will probably go with e85 and meth for fuel with dual in tank walbro 255s.
    Last edited by hokeplaya05; 03-12-2014 at 03:04 PM.

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

damn nice work. not wasting any time.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

thanks! yea i didnt waste any time at first, but now i am dragging my heals....i hadnt touched the car in 3 months until last weekend when i did work on it for a couple hours and got some small stuff done. i think once the weather warms up a bit, i can get motivated to work on it again and get it done and driving

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Matt
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

looking very good!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Wow... great coverage of ur build. Nicely documented. What do u plan on doing for tuning.

LTXtech.com is my DRUG!

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

thanks guys! i plan on getting it dyno tuned at a local shop that does a lot of gm/lsx tuning. i still want to talk with them some more to make sure they know what they're doing around an ltx though, but they said they've done a couple so im hoping they are good. so we'll see

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 View Post
    thanks guys! i plan on getting it dyno tuned at a local shop that does a lot of gm/lsx tuning. i still want to talk with them some more to make sure they know what they're doing around an ltx though, but they said they've done a couple so im hoping they are good. so we'll see
    What shop?
    John

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

granite state dyno and tune

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

small update....got my viking rear coilovers in the other day with the UMI kit. not sure when i will be installing them, but hope to get back to work on the car this weekend, if it doesnt rain

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast