Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 91 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495 ... LastLast

That will be a fun part to bore out on a mill
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Didn't like how the ATP brand Ford tailshaft bushing pressed into the T56 tailhousing as it was a little ovate. I cut it out and bored the tailhousing out to accept the Durabond tailshaft bushing for the same Ford trans that happened to be a few thou larger OD (pic below). Interference fit on the bushing was .001-2 and I used some bearing retaining compound (the green stuff). Only a tiny bit of honing was required and the clearance ended up being .0028" to the driveshaft yoke. I buttoned the car up and haven't noticed any weird vibrations so far, although the trans is still pissing fluid from what I'm guessing is the shifter hole. I made a crappy paper gasket, but I'm gonna redo it with RTV.

0623211855.jpg

Also fabbed a better exhaust mount to squeeze the OTA pipes a little closer together so they'll stop banging on the chassis. Seems to have bought me 1cm of clearance and I don't seem to be pulling as much timing cruising around.

0625211616c.jpg

All the other mods I've done up to this point were a waste when these slotted rotors and vette calipers add 200hp easy.

0626211608.jpg

I'll be endlessly dicking with this SD tune. The lack of resolution with the 2bar MAP is driving me nuts as anything below 20kpa in the table (actually 30kpa IRL) can't be manipulated beyond the 20kpa column. I see it occasionally dips below to 17-18 during decel @ 2500 and can go as low as 15kpa with closed throttle at higher RPM. Just hoping it stays in engine braking the whole time.

I started out using EEhack's VE analyzer, but some of the information I'm getting from it (esp in the engine braking region) seems erroneous. All the DFCO stuff is supposed to be filtered out, but it doesn't seem to work as well as I had hoped. I've been manually checking the logs with the graphing tool, writing down weird wideband activity, and drawing a plot to make adjustments instead.

Also, for some reason it likes a shelf at 25kpa from 1.2-1.6k. I think it's the low pulse width injector offsets, or lack thereof, but I don't think they'd matter because logs don't show a pulse lower than 1.25ms (min bpw in tune = 1ms) and the offset is nonexistent there. Seems like Dekas get very nonlinear below 1.7ms, so that might be the nature of the beast.

vemap.jpg
    Last edited by Catmaigne; 06-28-2021 at 12:17 AM.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Summit ended up cancelling my order of M&H 325 radials without telling me. The backorder got pushed back until late September, so I decided they're a lost cause and picked up these new 295 Mickey ET Streets from a local speed shop instead. Gonna try mounting them with a Harbor Freight tire changer so I can seat the beads myself with some Permatex Super High Tack, then take them for balancing.

213492050_1411276892580034_2327629370313917507_n.jpg

Also, I figured out the goofy shelf in the VE table was being caused by the PCM's refusal to go under 1.24ms logged pulsewidth. The pulsewidth 'floor' was causing overly rich conditions just at very low MAP values with just enough throttle to disable DFCO. EEhack's graphing function isn't very customizable, so I exported the data as a CSV and graphed it in Excel for a better look. You can see the line at 1.24ms here:

injpw.jpg

The min injector pulsewidths in EEXtra were both set to 0.75ms, but the PCM was acting as if the min pulsewidth was being reached despite this. Kur4o over at Gearhead-efi helped track down the source of the problem which is a scalar used for transient fueling, '126EF Min Transient Fuel Mass Per Cylinder' which I reduced from 4.0mg to 3.0mg and saw the 1.24ms floor drop proportionally to 0.92ms. Currently reworking the low MAP areas of my VE tables because those previously overly rich areas are now overly lean due to the shelf.

Once the tune is fully sorted, I'm trying to get this thing on the dyno to see what it puts down. Timing will likely still be lazy and AFR fatter than it needs to be, but I wanna know what 11-12psi makes.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Seated my drags with some tire glue (aka super hi tack) and got them balanced. I think I need to do a little more caliper grinding. Also need to do some more grinding to my bumpstop area so I can readjust the panhard a tad. More fender rolling might be in order.

0901212028b.jpg

Also added a valve cover oil separator in an attempt to prevent my catch can from filling up so quickly. I was using one of those "baffle type" rubber grommets with the slit cut in it before, but they don't work. Might have to pull the valve cover and fabricate my own baffle if this also doesn't work. Unfortunately, the baffles included with the covers wouldn't clear my rockers.

Have been chasing some transient fueling issues with the tune lately, but it seems like a lot of areas of this PCM aren't fully understood and it's driving me insane. I have a few more things to try, but I'm tired of dicking with it and am debating finally getting the 24x repin done with the 411 computer... but Terminator X is looking very attractive right now so I might splurge for that if I can get it to gel with my factory gauge cluster. Trying to figure out what annoys me more, excess tuning work or wiring work.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

The stock pcm is driving me nuts, so here's my project for the winter.

0912211627a.jpg

Also going to be redoing the fuel system. 98 baffled tank, racetronix twins, parallel rails, larger lines, content sensor, etc.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

Yesssssssssssssssssssss

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

im about at this point with the bird. nice

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    im about at this point with the bird. nice

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Honestly never had many issues NA. Everything goes out the window with big injectors though, can't seem to get the transient fueling sorted no matter what tables or patches I try.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Finally getting around working on this thing again. I have a little under 3 months to get the Terminator X and Racetronix E85-compatible setup onto the car in order to make it to OCMD. Should've started earlier, but life got in the way.

I've already removed the stock wiring harness and started gutting the HVAC box from the engine bay side. Plan is to mount the coils low on the HVAC delete panel because I can't fit them anywhere else. The coil brackets are ICT billet for D581. Might have to add extra shielding to the wiring harness in that area to prevent any RF interference. PCM will be mounted behind the passenger side kick panel and I'll be enlarging the firewall hole for a 2" grommet. Will be ditching my AEM wideband gauge for the gaugeless Innovate LC2 to run as a 0-5v input on the Holley. Also ditching my Autometer boost gauge and will be mounting the 3.5" Holley handheld on the dash.

The fuel system is a new baffled 98 tank with twin Racetronix 340's. I'm running teflon/SS lines to parallel rails with an Aeromotive FPR and ethanol content sensor mounted on top. Still have to figure out my mounting system, definitely need to make a Mcmaster order.20220228_200344.jpg20220301_204858.jpg20220301_175019.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

Why would you tie up an input with a spare wideband?

Page 91 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495 ... LastLast