Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    94 Impala SS

Default oil leak pissin me off

OK, I have this oil leak from the back of the motor, on top somewhere. This is really hindering my ability to make the shootout and being able to race the car there. I need to get this fixed so I can try to get an appt to get it tuned before the shootout. Otherwise, it'll be trailered there just to look at. Ugghhhh!!!!

It's behind the heads somewhere and is NOT the oil pressure sending unit. I have dye in it and it first started down the right side and dripping off the starter. So I cleaned it all up, pulled the intake, checked the sending unit. Nothing. Resealed, installed intake. Took it for a drive. Now it's getting worse. Down both sides of bellhousing and back of block is glowing with dye.
    I guess the next step is clean it all off real well, put it all together and use a fiber optic camera while it's running. The only plug I can think of is the one on the deck surface that's half under the head. Which means pulling a head.

Any other thoughts?
    24x LTx 383, and a few odds-n-ends here-n-there.

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    OK, I have this oil leak from the back of the motor, on top somewhere. This is really hindering my ability to make the shootout and being able to race the car there. I need to get this fixed so I can try to get an appt to get it tuned before the shootout. Otherwise, it'll be trailered there just to look at. Ugghhhh!!!!

It's behind the heads somewhere and is NOT the oil pressure sending unit. I have dye in it and it first started down the right side and dripping off the starter. So I cleaned it all up, pulled the intake, checked the sending unit. Nothing. Resealed, installed intake. Took it for a drive. Now it's getting worse. Down both sides of bellhousing and back of block is glowing with dye.
    I guess the next step is clean it all off real well, put it all together and use a fiber optic camera while it's running. The only plug I can think of is the one on the deck surface that's half under the head. Which means pulling a head.

Any other thoughts?
    check the back of the intake. LT1's are bad for intake oil leaks on the back rail of the motor and what kind of gasket sealer did u use. I used THE RIGHT STUFF. It's the only gasket sealer I will ever use. My intake was sealed with it and it has never leaked. 3 years later and who knows how many nitrous passes and the motor and intake look like I installed it yesterday.
    Last edited by hvyss; 08-05-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    1996 Impala SS LT1 385 AI H/C/I
    2012 Extreme Street PA Winner 10.09@132
    9.91@135 1.37 60ft 200 shot N2O @4200 LBS
    REST IN PEACE RITA BROWN. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 1960-2010

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by hvyss View Post
    check the back of the intake. LT1's are bad for intake oil leaks on the back rail of the motor and what kind of gasket sealer did u use. I used THE RIGHT STUFF. It's the only gasket sealer I will ever use. My intake was sealed with it and it has never leaked. 3 years later and who knows how many nitrous passes and the motor and intake look like I installed it yesterday.
    +1

MEMBER @ LTXtech.com

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

I got the same problem.Its the intake leaking.Im getting to mine this week.
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    94 Impala SS

That's what I used this time but I normally don't. I usually always use GM's GMS. I just didn't have enough left to do the intake. But I WILL be coming home with a new tube today.

But after pulling the intake. The sealant was flat and uniform all the way across. That's why I'm not suspecting an intake leak.

Also, the back of the block all the way across the rear of the intake is completely dry.
    Last edited by Sapper; 08-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Lurker

Status

The only other thing back there is valve covers. Have you pulled them yet?
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    94 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan7 View Post
    The only other thing back there is valve covers. Have you pulled them yet?

Backs of the heads dry. Even though I have more room than a F-body to work with, Somehow I know I'm gonna have to pull this motor AGAIN!! to find this little PITA leak.

It's really pissing me off. I'm 0 for 3 right now and working on 0 for 4.
    The car wasn't finished for 1) my sons prom, 2) his graduation, 3) our local big car show last weekend, now it's pushing for the LTx shootout.
    Anymore after this, I'm putting a bullet through the block and starting over with an LSx. I have almost $10k wrapped up in this build in the past year and I've about had it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sapper For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Shit with 10K into it,I wouldnt shoot it and start over.But im posative its your intake.The reason im saying this is.ive been threw the same thing.I put valve pan covers I took the intake off still a leak.I have a buddy thats into these LT1 engines.Hes has one in a chevy s10 and another one in hes f-body.Hes done several swaps in a lot of vehicles with the LT1.He swares its the intake.Its suppose to be common thing in these cars.Ounce fixed there no more problems.I know im going to listen to him.
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    94 Impala SS

OK, I'm not an artist by any means and don't have photoshop. But here's an idea of what I have going on.
    Blue represents dry areas with no oil what-so-ever. Red is where I have oil running.

This pic is my current setup with my sending units. No leaks there. The other is during the build just to show the Steel braided crossover.

InActive Member

Status

Well the pics just eliminated the rear main. I still want to say it's from the intake though. Even though u say it's dry along the block and where the intake meet.
    1996 Impala SS LT1 385 AI H/C/I
    2012 Extreme Street PA Winner 10.09@132
    9.91@135 1.37 60ft 200 shot N2O @4200 LBS
    REST IN PEACE RITA BROWN. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 1960-2010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast