Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Default 98 and up radio fit in 93 camaro?

So the car I got didn't have a radio in it, don't really like the look of the aftermarket single din radios in these cars. So I was wondering if the 98+ factory radio would fit in a 93 with no modifications.

98+ are 1.5din

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

To my knowledge the wiring is the same, and the early and late radio's are interchangeable.

InActive Member

Status
    Vehicle
    '98 Firebird 3.8 V6/Auto (Bright Purple), '95 Firebird 3.8 V6/Auto (Emerald Green)

I was able to put a Monsoon cd player from an '00 Firebird in my '93 Trans Am with no issues, if I recall correctly it just plugged right in. My T/A did have the 10 speaker sound system (I was told it was basically the "pre-Monsoon" system, don't remember the factory name for it) so if yours has a 10 speaker setup as well it should work. The 4 screws that mount your current radio might have a slightly different location on the Monsoon, but even if you're only able to put 3 screws in it should keep it from bouncing around. Hope this helps : )
    '98 Firebird "Purple Haze"
    Bright Metallic Purple/Grey Leather/Chrome Wheels/3.8 V6/Auto

A guy literally just installed a 97 radio in his 96 today. Looks better and said it was really easy. Give it a shot!

So I don't need the radio wiring harness from the newer radio? It should just hook right up to the wiring that's already in the car?

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Gary
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

I have read that there is an issue with the electric antenna connection, but nothing else. The antenna problem is solved by moving one wire in the connector, in case that becomes an issue.
    If you are looking for a radio, try for 2000 or newer, it supports the external CD changer if you later decide to add one.