Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle
    93 Camaro, 95 Impala SS, 01 Corvette, '05 Dodge Ram

Default 4L60E year differences and interchanges.

None of the '93 -'97 4L60E's are directly interchangeable, except '93 and '94 and '96 and '97!!! Here's a list of yearly differences that will show you why. Yes, some years will fit in others and may not even throw a code, but there will be an issue in the long run. The big issues become forced 3-2 downshifts, and converter lock up issues and burnt lock up clutches. When a converter cluych cause it to lose lock up, the 3-4 clutches, in the transmission will soon follow because the 3-4's need lock up to keep them cool while cruising in overdrive.

1993: These were used in TRUCKS only. Not available in F-Bodies, B-Bodies, or Vettes

1994: Interchangeable with '93 4L60E with no modifications. The '93-'94 is a NON PWM transmission. This means that the lock up apply strategy is an on /off arrangement. It has an 11 pin case connector. Does not have PWM cast into front pump. 1 piece TCC control valve in the valve body. Plate has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve

1995: Stand alone year! Will not interchange with any other year. This is a PWM transmission. An extra solenoid was added to the valve body to control the pulsed lock up strategy of the conerter clutch. It has a 12 pin case connector, extra wire in the transmission to computer harness and different computer to control the new PWM circuit. Has PWM cast in front pump. Front pump internal passages different to match new TCC strategy. 2 piece TCC control valve in valve body. Has holes in plate, marked in diagram below. 1st design 3-2 valve. 12 pin case connector. '94 computer won't recognise new TCC strategy., and will burn lock-up clutch and 3-4 clutches up. '96 computer isn't compatible with '96 3-2 control solenoid.

1996: The 3-2 downshift strategy was changed to an on /off arrangement. The 3-2 downshift solenoid was changed to a 20-31 OHM solenoid, from the previous 10-15 OHM solenoid. The 3-2 control valve was changed to the second design valve. The easiest way to identify the valve is, the second design valve will fall out as soon as the solenoid is removed. The first design has a plug and retaining clip. TCC solenoid remains 10-15 OHMs, which is the same as the '95 arrangement. Has PWM stamped cast in pump. pump is the same as '95. Will not interchange with '95 unless changing 3-2 solenoid, valvebody casting, and seperator plate. Has holes in plate marked in diagram. '94 or '95 computer will not accept the 20-31 OHM 3-2 solenoid and will throw an SES light and throw the transmission into limp mode. Some less knowledgeable builders will swap the solenoid so the computer will see the correct resistance, but the valve itself then causes downshift issues. If only the solenoid is changed, it will result in a 3-2 downshift cut loose. In other words...3-neutral-2 downshift. Speedo moved to passenger side of tail housing, but easily changed.

1997: Basically the same as '96.

*** ADDITIONAL INFORMATION***. We have found that the '94 and '95 cars share the same part number for the PCM. This means that the PWM function is part of the tuning. It appears as though it's possible to install a '94 4L60E in a '95 vehicle as long as the PCM is reprogrammed to delete the PWM function. A '95 can be installed in a '94 as long as you add a wire into the trans harness that connects the PCM PWM pin to the transmissions PWM pin. The pin is pin 6 in connector d, the blue connector on the PCM, to pin U on the trans. This ia a brown wire on 95's.
    Last edited by CPT; 07-06-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    Gail C. Cahall
    CAHALL PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CPT For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    94 Impala SS

Frank, Excellent write up.

Any insight on a 24x conversion for those wanting to do it?

I did quite a bit of research and even made quite a few calls to my trans builder. (performabuilt)
    What funny is that my car is a 94. It wasn't supposed to have a PWM. Well it did. Not sure which one due to Ohm differences, so I replaced the 3-2 and the PWM with the ones I know it's supposed to have utilizing the 0411 PCM.

My harness was set up for OBDI or II. It's a OBDII harness that had a 2nd pigtail spliced in for the different solenoids that would be used. Pretty smart I think. One harness does either.

During my research here at work (GM Dealer) I dug through all the old books and found that the solenoids between yrs was just simply a resistance value.
    24x LTx 383, and a few odds-n-ends here-n-there.

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle

We've seen many cases where just changing the 3-2 solenoid to make the PCM see the right resistance, will cause forced downshift issues. The 3-2 valve in the valve body is a different design to work with the different solenoid. Are you saying Performabuilt built you the wrong year trans? I've never seen a '94 vehicle with a PWM unit. Was your original a PWM unit?
    I know the 24X conversions need a '96-up transmission to work with the PCM.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    94 Impala SS

I'm sure my original didn't have one in it. But my new one from them had a solenoid in the PWM position. Not sure which one. There is a # on it but it's not a GM#. I didn't take any chances and bought both GM solenoids. I can't remember which solenoid required the different connector but it had 2 for either solenoid. It just had a cap on one of them SO I just switch the cap and the OBDII connector popped in.

I'm not a trans guy by any means. But on my old Opti setup, I never had an issue with any forced down shifts. BUT, I did have to tune it because it would shift up into OD before 30mph, then never downshift unless I was really getting on it or come to a stop. So, with a whole day of testing and tuning. I had it dialed in perfect. Cruise shifts were nice and WOT was dead on.

I wish I knew of you 7 yrs ago when my trans first went out. Since then the car barely seen 4000 miles.
    24x LTx 383, and a few odds-n-ends here-n-there.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Enrique
    Vehicle
    93 Z28

This is what I was just doing my homework on. I'm gathering parts for a 24x conversions and just order a harness from Bill at BP Automotive, but he is waiting on me to figure out how to make my built 4L60 work with the conversion.
    On the EFI connection web site it say, "The LS1 PCM cannot control torque converter lockup for 700R4 or 4L60 transmissions. You will need to install an aftermarket lockup kit."
    Will this work or do I need to buy a another transmission and exchange the internals and then buy another throttle body, because I have a kick down cable? I really don't want to buy another throttle body because I have a AS&M throttle body and really like it.
    I also heard all I have to do is change some solenoids, but don't know what exactly what to do. I just want to make this work the best while spending the least amount. LOL
    93 Z28, 383, PI 3200, Strange 12 bolt, 3.73, Strange coilovers, suspension, and going 24X... for three years or so.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Firebird

Question: 95 4l60e + 95 PCM + 94 wireharness = failure???
    1995 TA: Converted Nose...381 LT1...4L80E...Moser 12 bolt...Edge TC...
    Best 1/4 10.71 @126, 1.46 60ft, 3450lbs
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MysteryBird1?feature=watch

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Bird View Post
    Question: 95 4l60e + 95 PCM + 94 wireharness = failure???
    Yes. The '94 wiring harness has one less wire than a '95-up.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CPT For This Post:

InActive Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z/28

So if the 95 is pretty much it's own year for a trans, why do the 96 trans work in those cars? Or is that like a ticking time bomb on something going wrong? (I have a 96 4l60E in my 95 atm)
    Just your normal loud and slow LT1

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizar View Post
    So if the 95 is pretty much it's own year for a trans, why do the 96 trans work in those cars? Or is that like a ticking time bomb on something going wrong? (I have a 96 4l60E in my 95 atm)
    In many cases of that swap, it will have a forced downshift (runaway) issue.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Gail C. Cahall
    Vehicle

Fastbird, this should really be a sticky. I get private messages about the 4L60E interchanges quite a bit.

Frank
    Gail C. Cahall

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast