Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: ASK A COP...

Lurker

Status

if u have a ccw and have ur gun in ur vehicle on campus and get pulled over speeding by a campus cop would you give a ticket or arrest for possession of a firearm on a restricted location.

then secondly i live less than a block and a half from an elementary school would sunbathing nude in my back yard make me a sex offender?

lastly can i get a handicap parking area marked off on the street for me and my neighbor who both have handicap placards and non handicap cars parked there would a cop be willing to tow it. idiot drivers always park without regard infront of my house

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ben
    Vehicle
    1997 Z28 (SS clone)

How about this one (past experience for me) you are a resource officer at a high school. You are just doing some walk arounds in the parking lot, looking for drugs or really anything of any concern...just snooping around.
    You see a truck parked about 2-3 spots away from anyone else and look in the window...you see a gun case and a case of winchester AA's. So you call the main office to see who's vehicle it is.

Once you find out that it is someone that you talk to on a daily basis in the hallway and are relieved of the fact that you know why it is there and that they are not someone crazy.

What do you do then, give them a verbal warning, suspend them, or arrest them for bringing a firearm on a gun free zone?

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

WOW, I'm surprised... you should have been arrested and criminally charges as well....

But then again, I dont know the laws where you are...Id still have to believe that is a Federal law as well as State.

And with all of the 0 tolerance with weapons at school.....

Now with that being said, Im gonna show you the lack of common sense in kids... WHY THE FUK WOULD YOU TAKE A GUN TO SCHOOL (even the parking lot) ON A RACK INSIDE YOUR TRUCK???? Obviously you cant secure it, so you would leave it out there for any one to break in and take it.

Quote Originally Posted by 30thSSclone View Post
    that was the first time i have ever been suspended...should have been either a whole year or expulsion...but because of my behavioral record i got off with 3 days

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTX Master

Status

lol holy crap, hopefully POPO can keep up with all the questions... I know he is the MAIN LEO advisor on the boards, but he is not the ONLY one, hopefully some others can explain in more detail what their state requires on certain issues. Keep in mind Larry can only realistically respond with PA laws and suggestions... the rest is based on LEO's from YOUR specific state or Larrys OPINION from an LEO on a different state... He is doing the best best he can, but you guys need to realize that some states have different laws and he can only give you his LEO OPINION based on his experience in HIS STATE! This may or may not apply to you...
    MATT

95 Z28 - Forged 383 LT1, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E w/3200 stall, Pacesetter LT's & ORY with a stockish exhaust (E-cutout soon to come!)

Overworked/Underpaid

Status
    Name
    Peter Alpiger
    Vehicle
    1996 Trans Am WS6; 1994 Corvette [GS Clone]

Quote Originally Posted by xBrandonx View Post
    FINALLY.... (I'm sure I could get this from Google but coming straight from a cop is better)

If the light is yellow and you try to make it but it turns red after the white line, are you running a red light?

I have more, I just can't think of them.
    I'm not a LEO, but I do know that here in Texas, they're very clear on what does and does not count as running a red light. The rule here is that your car must completely clear the opposite side of the intersection before the light goes red or you have run a red light. If it goes red while even the ass end of your car is still in the intersection (which they use the traffic light hanging overhead to eyeball whether you made it or not, so you have to be past the light basically), then they can write you up if they feel like it. Also, Popo made a good point about if you try to floor it to get through the light before it goes red, then they can just nail you for speeding instead. Cops here are also pretty uptight about stop sign laws as well. They count a "full stop" to be pulling up to the stop sign and sitting for at least a full 2 seconds before moving again.
    96 Trans Am WS6 LT1 M6: 10/7/11 - current: 245.7 RWHP / 266.2 RWTQ - 14.462s @ 98.28 MPH
    94 Corvette LT1 A4: 4/12/13 - current: No dyno #s yet - 9.547s @ 75.11 MPH (1/8 mile)
    92 Lumina Euro 3.4L LQ1 A4: 1/15/06 - current: The beater car that refuses to die...

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Wheat View Post
    I'm guessing that you see a lot of instances where the punishment does not fit the crime. Assuming you ran the world, give me...

3 laws you would increase the punishment?

3 laws you would decrease?

Accompany with the reasons behind your thinking, please.

3 laws you would increase the punishment?

ANY SEXUAL CRIME (no matter what the age): I feel that castration is the only punishment for anyone who attacks anyone sexually. I believe those actors have something wrong with their internal "wiring," their "moral compass" is way out of whack, and there is NO rehabilitating that... I don't care what science or medicine says.
    And when a sex crime is committed, something is taken away from the victim that can never be returned, and I have seen it destroy the victims for the rest of their lives.

ANY THEFT CRIME from the elderly specifically (over 65): Crimes against the elderly used to remind me of my grandparents, but now it reminds me of my parents.. My father is 71 years old and if anyone took advantage of him or my mother, I don't know that I could control the rage that would go through me. And as a Police Officer, I have many elderly people who get taken advantage of, and THEY are someone else s parents and grandparents, and they live on such low fixed income, it destroys them. I believe that the penalty for the people who take advantage of the elderly should be some type of program that would put them into situations where they would be taken advantage of them selves and they could not trust anyone.... I know this will sound weird, but if a middle class Caucasian is the one who committed the crime, then he should be forced to house arrest in HARLEM.... (I know its not realistic, but at the same time, he deserves to live a life dealing with what he did to someone who can no longer fend for themselves.

ANY ABUSE CRIME ON CHILDREN (younger that 18): Now this does not include any sex crimes, this is simply physical, verbal, mental. Children do not ask to be born... and in most cases they are only as disciplined as the people who raised them, so when they get beat, or thrown around because they lashed out, or acted in a manner that at one time was supported by the parents or guardian..it is not their fault, and they should not be hurt. Penalty is simple for this one....Re create whatever the abuse to the child was to the actor.... the only difference is, that a judge would sentence how MANY TIMES it should be re created.

3 laws you would decrease?

Possession of Paraphernalia: I think that with the exception of needles, paraphernalia violations in the drug section of the crimes code is a joke. Lets be honest... Its not illegal to be high in your home, so why should the tools to get high be illegal. EXAMPLE... if I made a bowl out of an apple. Smoked a bunch of weed at my kitchen table , ALONE... then ate the apple right down to the stem, and licked my fingers clean.....then for a random reason the Police knock on the door and ask "WHAT ARE YOU DOING," I would say... I just got done smoking the last of my weed and I ate my bowl... THERE IS NO CRIME! So again, why should a cleaned out bong, or a one hitter (as long as there is no residue) matter. Ive seen some beautiful BONGS out there. What if I wanted to display fancy bongs instead of FINE CHINA...... I cold do a like of coke of the CHINA, that does not make the CHINA illegal.....

Any Marijuana (Act 64) violation:
    As someone who smoked weed when I was younger... I know how it affects me. And I know its better than any drunk or buzz I ever got on. And at the end of the night, I had no spins... no bloated feeling (except for after the munchies). I would never support driving or operating equipment while high... but to go to a bar and roll one, rather than order a beer, as long as you have a DD, I see it as no issue.

Weapons at Schools: Currently weapons are not allowed on school property or inside a school, and although its been discussed that teachers be armed, that's not what I mean. I mean non employees being able to carry. IF my wife is picking up our daughter from school (not married, and no kids , just saying) and my wife carries for protection... she should not be forced to leave her gun at home because she is picking up our child. In fact with her and our child together, I would say that is more reason to carry with her. Now inside the school, I agree, no need for her to take it in there, and no need for her to go in the school when kids come out to go home.

Lil high still, but I hope I did well.A

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by gojo83 View Post
    if u have a ccw and have ur gun in ur vehicle on campus and get pulled over speeding by a campus cop would you give a ticket or arrest for possession of a firearm on a restricted location.

then secondly i live less than a block and a half from an elementary school would sunbathing nude in my back yard make me a sex offender?

lastly can i get a handicap parking area marked off on the street for me and my neighbor who both have handicap placards and non handicap cars parked there would a cop be willing to tow it. idiot drivers always park without regard in front of my house

1- In PA, if you get caught with a firearm on school properties, its an arrestable offense. Now everything is up for interpretation and the discretion of the Officer. Me personally, I would have to see the situation, however if you had it with you and that is the extent of it, and you were not brandishing, or in an altercation with it, etc...Id tell you to go home and lock it up from now on. And I would till you that its not me.. its the law, "this one is on me."

2-If someone can see you where you are, and you are in an offensive condition (in this case nude sunbathing) then yes, you can be arrested and you most prob will be tagged a sex offender.

3-That will be up to the city , twp or borough... you would have to plea your case to them to make the ordinance. As for towing the vehicle... even here we don't tow illegally parked vehicles in handicap spots... they get 400.00 tickets. To tow them they have to be stationary for more than 72 hours (at least that was the rule back in 99 when I worked for the city parking authority...

MAD ABOUT LTX's

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 1970 Firebird Espirit, 1972 Camaro Sport Coupe

This question or opinion is more so pointed al all of the LEO personal here.
    I have talked to police officers in the past when the gun control thing has come up and have yet to her a cop say that they were for it, now keep in mind that not a single one of them said they were in favor of people having machine guns.
    I respect all opinions even if they dont fall in line with mine and the reason I ask is because I have unanswered questions regarding this issue and if somebody gives me their view then I might learn something new.
    Here is my request for opinions.
    What is your opinion on extended magazines and semi auto firearms?
    If you don't stand behind our MIlitary then feel free to stand in front of them. <---- This is my oldest son (PROUD DAD HERE) Mike (just plain mad) Madman337 1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 all stock other than a muffler and LCAs @292K+ miles. 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. 1972 Camaro, 1994 Corvette, ​17 Fusion Sport AWD V6 Twin Turbo

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 30thSSclone View Post
    How about this one (past experience for me) you are a resource officer at a high school. You are just doing some walk arounds in the parking lot, looking for drugs or really anything of any concern...just snooping around.
    You see a truck parked about 2-3 spots away from anyone else and look in the window...you see a gun case and a case of winchester AA's. So you call the main office to see who's vehicle it is.

Once you find out that it is someone that you talk to on a daily basis in the hallway and are relieved of the fact that you know why it is there and that they are not someone crazy.

What do you do then, give them a verbal warning, suspend them, or arrest them for bringing a firearm on a gun free zone?

I'll be honest with you BEN... I would arrest you.

Ive never met you , much less spoken to you every day, but in my mind, I would be concerned you were going to either hurt someone that is gay... or someone that is straight that knows you gay.

NO fire arms on school property is clear.

Overworked/Underpaid

Status
    Name
    Peter Alpiger
    Vehicle
    1996 Trans Am WS6; 1994 Corvette [GS Clone]

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    I agree.. I remember the teachers trying to open boxes, and asking to borrow a students knife to cut it open... But now a 10 year old, brings a steak knife with their lunch... THEY GET SUSPENDED!
    Kids also used to be able to go beat the snot out of each other to settle a fight after school and then go home and nobody would call the cops or press charges. Now you'd get arrested for a single punch or slap because everything is considered "assault" now...
    96 Trans Am WS6 LT1 M6: 10/7/11 - current: 245.7 RWHP / 266.2 RWTQ - 14.462s @ 98.28 MPH
    94 Corvette LT1 A4: 4/12/13 - current: No dyno #s yet - 9.547s @ 75.11 MPH (1/8 mile)
    92 Lumina Euro 3.4L LQ1 A4: 1/15/06 - current: The beater car that refuses to die...

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast