Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Project Storm Trooper"

Status
    Name
    Tony
    Vehicle
    93 StormTrooper Z28

Default Push Rod Length?

just went out and did some measuring, first tested with a stock push rod and the mark was a bit high on the valve then tested at a 7.250 and got this.

dose the 7.250 look like the proper length?

Official Member of $30k Club ​- Work in progress
    1993 Z28- 24x EFI, Clayton Racing 383ci, F1a w/FMIC, AFR 210's, LE Custom cam, LE LT4 Intake/heads, 80# injectors, 255lph/340lph pumps, T56 Conversion, 9" 4.11 w/spool, LPP LT w/Borla, Full UMI suspension....
    1987 Iroc-Z - Stock Summer DD

Looks almost like it has two patterns on it, is the old one towards the top?

Did you do a full sweep? Is this rocker in the middle or on either end of the head? Did the plunger in the lifter depress at all as you turned over the motor or did you mock it up as a solid lifter?

Which aftermarket heads are those, AFR?

Ok enough questions, if you checked all those things I'd say that middle line looks pretty much spot on.
    1994 Z28 383ci - Jake's 4L80 - Moser 9" [LE2 heads and LE cam - 121mph @5500DA]
    1995 Corvette 350ci - ZF6 - Dana 44 [GTP heads - XE503 - RamHD]
    1997 Ram 2500 - tractor motor - duel spinners - chimnie mod

"Project Storm Trooper"

Status
    Name
    Tony
    Vehicle
    93 StormTrooper Z28

re colored the lifter after each test, and did 2 full turns of the crank (1 turn of the cam), set the rockers at 0 last then 1/2 turn preload, they are AFR 210's with a spring recommended by LE (not sure the make, bu i think a Lunati).

but i set my calipers at a 7.250 (cause i saw that Call911 was selling a set) and tested, as far as the stock size i could have probable gotten away wiht but the 7.250 looks better.

1993 Z28- 24x EFI, Clayton Racing 383ci, F1a w/FMIC, AFR 210's, LE Custom cam, LE LT4 Intake/heads, 80# injectors, 255lph/340lph pumps, T56 Conversion, 9" 4.11 w/spool, LPP LT w/Borla, Full UMI suspension....

The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

it looks good. According to comp cam you want the pattern close to the center but leaning on the inside of the valve.
    ASE L1 Master Certified Tech's 9C1 T56. Yeah she's got a big butt. But watch her move it.

R.I.P. Z8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chile For This Post:

"Project Storm Trooper"

Status
    Name
    Tony
    Vehicle
    93 StormTrooper Z28

Quote Originally Posted by chile View Post
    it looks good. According to comp cam you want the pattern close to the center but leaning on the inside of the valve.
    that is the method i used.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CamaroZGuy For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

I think that looks good.

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

Good video, here's what was sent to me by Lloyd Elliott years ago with pictures of how the pattern should look:

The following is a method of verifying proper valve train geometry. After you have estimated the required pushrod length using a Pushrod Length Checker, use this method to verify that the valve train geometry is correct (using the rockers you are using in your engine):

1.jpg

The first step is to install a solid lifter and an adjustable pushrod. Mark the tip of the valve with a marker

2.jpg
    Install your rocker arm and set it up with zero lash.

3.jpg

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise several times. Remove the rocker arm. The contact pattern of the rocker tip will be where the marker has been wiped away from the valve tip. The pattern should be centered on the valve tip, and as narrow as possible. If it is not, experiment with varying the pushrod length to yield the best pattern.

4.jpg

Pushrod Too Long: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the exhaust side of the valve tip.

5.jpg

Pushrod Too Short: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the intake side of the valve tip.

6.jpg

Pushrod Length Correct: Notice how the pattern is narrow and is centered on the valve tip.
    Last edited by 96LT1355Z28; 02-12-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

"Project Storm Trooper"

Status
    Name
    Tony
    Vehicle
    93 StormTrooper Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28 View Post
    Good video, here's what was sent to me by Lloyd Elliott a years ago with pictures of how the pattern should look:

The following is a method of verifying proper valve train geometry. After you have estimated the required pushrod length using a Pushrod Length Checker, use this method to verify that the valve train geometry is correct (using the rockers you are using in your engine):

The first step is to install a solid lifter and an adjustable pushrod. Mark the tip of the valve with a marker

Install your rocker arm and set it up with zero lash.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise several times. Remove the rocker arm. The contact pattern of the rocker tip will be where the marker has been wiped away from the valve tip. The pattern should be centered on the valve tip, and as narrow as possible. If it is not, experiment with varying the pushrod length to yield the best pattern.

Pushrod Too Long: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the exhaust side of the valve tip.

Pushrod Too Short: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the intake side of the valve tip.

Pushrod Length Correct: Notice how the pattern is narrow and is centered on the valve tip.
    pics are broken...but good info!

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

Pics work for me can anyone else see them?
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

"Project Storm Trooper"

Status
    Name
    Tony
    Vehicle
    93 StormTrooper Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28 View Post
    Pics work for me can anyone else see them?
    i just checked with IE, Fire Fox and Chrome and pics dont work.
    adskjhfakjsldhfkjalshdlfkahdskljfahsdkjhf.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast