Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Default Lets do this again version 2.0

So at the end of last year my car had multiple issues forcing me to walk away from it for a while. Many things were changed, and re worked. For a complete detailed run-down go here> http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...-do-this-again

To bring things up to date:

Eventually I slowly got enough nerve to get back into things to see what could be found. After trying to find enough help, I was able to recuit a friend of mine. He agreed to check things out for me in his off time from work.
    Last edited by CALL911; 05-25-2013 at 10:36 AM.

InActive Member

Status

This is what we found first.

There is a slightly bent blade on my D1SC impeller. Really not sure how this happened, as I bought the D1SC brand new, and I have always ran an air filter on it. Talking to Pnyhntr (who used to work for ATI) said I should have it sent to ATI and have them replace it, as even with a slight bend, it could throw it out of balance and cause the whole D1SC to come apart later.

I did some research and found that average cost to replace the impeller is $1800! Wammy. It seems the impeller is the most expensive part of the whole unit. And of course they would disassemble everything and make sure everything else was still good.

After talking with a few other people with similar experiences, it seems that many have just let it keep going without any problems down the road. Seeing pics of their bent impeller blades (being worse than mine), and given the vast expense of the impeller blade replacement, at this point I have decided to "roll the dice" and just let it go un-fixed.
    Last edited by CALL911; 01-23-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    1995 Z28 - disfunctional now, perhaps insane after its "treatment"
    1998 Formula WS6 -Heads, cam, intake, bolt ons 441RWHP

InActive Member

Status

The big culprit.

This was the major problem (I believe). This was a Nirtous Dave's sheet metal elbow. They had one for boost and one for NA. Not believing my 15 ish pounds of boost would not be enough to do damage to the NA elbow, I bought it as it was a bit cheaper. Obviously I was wrong as it had broke the weld and caused a vacuum leak which was noted on my last dyno with the boost at first peaking at 13 pounds, then 11, then 10, then 8 ect., and kept making less power.

Now, my buddy did repair in full the elbow with even stronger welds as seen below.

Last edited by CALL911; 05-25-2013 at 10:37 AM.

InActive Member

Status

]

In the end given my friends welding ability, we decided to play it safe, and just fabricate a new elbow from scratch with welds both on the inside and out for reinforcement (this was how the boosted elbow from Nitrous Dave's was also reinforced).

The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

Sorry about the blower but atleast it was on easy Gol for the elbow. Is there any way to work something out with ati.
    ASE L1 Master Certified Tech's 9C1 T56. Yeah she's got a big butt. But watch her move it.

R.I.P. Z8

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chile View Post
    Sorry about the blower but at least it was on easy Gol for the elbow. Is there any way to work something out with ati.
    Its not new, so they won't warranty it. As far as they are concerned, it just falls under me wanting a new impeller, so it would be about $1800.

At first this looked like my only option. But after talking with some more people, I don't think mine is really going to come apart, and that replacing the impeller (as much as I would like to do it, money aside from things) may be more of a precaution rather than something that definately needs to be replaced.

VIP Member

Status

The vacuum canister being a bad vacuum leak probably caused some of the issues you were having as well.

Prev: 94 Formula V8 M6 - R.I.P. / 96 Trans Am WS6 M6 - Sold / 00 Firebird 3.8 M5 - Sold
    Current: 94 Camaro Z28 A4
    Jesse

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird_96 View Post
    The vacuum canister being a bad vacuum leak probably caused some of the issues you were having as well.
    Im sure that it did if it was broke at the time. Not really sure when that happened, but it definately was playing a hand at a vacuum/boost leak.

When I dropped it off to my buddy, on the highway it would only show about 6 units of vacuum, and at idle, only about 2-4. We replaced the elbow, and capped the line to the HVAC vacuum canister and I was seeing 10 units vacuum at idle, and 12-13 while driving.

My hope is that between both of these I have solved the problem of why it was running bad, as all the evidence showed signs of a vacuum/boost leak.
    Last edited by CALL911; 01-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.

VIP Member

Status

That's a big improvement

Prev: 94 Formula V8 M6 - R.I.P. / 96 Trans Am WS6 M6 - Sold / 00 Firebird 3.8 M5 - Sold
    Current: 94 Camaro Z28 A4
    Jesse

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird_96 View Post
    That's a big improvement
    Yeah, my buddies welds are much bigger, and stronger than the originals. For all we know the old elbow could handle boost, but I just wanted to play it extra safe.

The old elbow will be for sale shortly as soon as I figure out how much I want to ask for it.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast