Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default My LT1 Corvette: Part 1 - Fixes and Bolt on's

I'm guessing most have read the "Should I buy a C4" thread so I'll try not to rehash too much.

I recently bought a 1995 Corvette. I was fortunate enough that it came with some decent modifications, but as with most older cars it also has it's fair share of issues. Overall I'm hooked. This car is a blast to drive and I can't explain how much I enjoy the ZF6 Corvette compared to the T56 equipped 1995 Camaro. Even relatively stock the car scoots around quite nicely.

Here is a picture of the how the car looks:
    95-vette-073.jpg

The jury is still out on those black Z06 replicas, I have polished ZR1's and some silver 10 spokes I might try. A guy in town wants to trade factory grey Z06 wheels for the black ones I have. Those might look pretty good, the problem with black Z06 wheels is you don't get to see the depth and dimension of the wheel design.

Mods included:
    Taylor 8mm wires
    MSD Blaster Coil
    K&N Filter element [and cut filter lid]
    Chambered Mufflers
    RD Racing Camber Brace
    Bilstein Shocks
    Lowered front and rear
    B&M Shifter
    Cross drilled front rotors
    Slotted rear rotors
    An odd airfoil in the intake tube

Problems

Radiator: When I got the car I wanted to check all the fluids right off the bat. Nothing worse than getting a new [used] car and damaging something because the former owner forgot to top of fluids. The rear end, ZF6 and oil were all at acceptable levels. However the oil needed to be changed. The coolant was a little low and I noticed it was pure water, no antifreeze. So I swapped it out the next day. During the next drive I noticed a coolant smell. Turns out the water was low the first time because the radiator's plastic end tank was cracked. [I'll post pictures later]. So I replaced it with a Oreily's lifetime part. I was going to go with a nice USA radiator, but I didn't buy this car to bleed money away from my 1994 Camaro that has a motor that really requires a nice dual row radiator.

Weather stripping: My weatherstripping doesn't seem to leak, but it's cracked and takes away from the rest of the car. So I ordered some USA stripping from Wilcox Corvette during a sale they had. Perhaps I'll do a thread on this later. Let it be known most of these older Corvettes need weather stripping and figure that into the price if you're in the market to buy.

Power Antenna: I haven't gotten to far into this, but I noticed my radio reception sucked. Found out my antenna isn't there, one is on order, I'll cross that bridget when I get there.

Brakes: I have a passenger front brake dragging. It's on my list for this weekend, however it doesn't drag enough to pull the car right, but is enough for the car to smell of brakes when I stop. I guess I've got the J55 brakes, which is a nice upgrade that the later model C4's come with standard.

Light covers: I've got some sort of clear vinyl/tape over the fog light/turn signals. It's fadded and fogged and I think I'll be taking it off with a razor and goo gone this weekend. I'll add pictures of this as well.

Future plans

Obviously I need to fix the little issues, but after that it's time to knock out a few power upgrades. For the time being I'm only going to do bolt ons.

For the time being I'm only going to do bolt ons.

For the time being I'm only going to do bolt ons.

Ok, I'm better now. In order to build my garage, square away the Camaro for the shootout, and finish all my other projects I need to remain vigilant and not touch the motor on the Corvette. I've got a horrible itch to swap the motor from my 1995 Camaro with the one from the Corvette, but that will only put me futher behind finished everything else. It's going to be tough.

I have already got a set of Hooker longtubes for the C4 I bought used from Corvetteforum. The price was right, they were in good condition and I've always trusted Hooker Super Comps to be a great lightweight, well fitting, tuned long tube header.

I'm debating on what to put in place of the resonator which is basically a dual in/dual out muffler placed about half way in the exhaust after the cats. With the GMMG style chambered mufflers out back I think straight piping the resonator would sound good with stock manifolds and cats, the same way my 1994 sounded with a GMMG catback. But might be a little much with the Hookers and no cats. If that's the case I'm considering a pair of 'power stick' mufflers where the straight pipes were. I'll be taking video of each exhaust combo along the way, if you guys want to see them.

While on the topic of exhaust I did notice the previous owner "fixed" a few exhaust hangers with wire which will need fixed right. I also don't like the round quad tips out back. I'm going to try and trade for factory rectangle "Z28" style tips, I'd like the low cost, low maintenance, and they fill the rear bumper area perfect. The Stainless works or Corse style tips would be SEX, but they'd empty my pockets with no benefit other than looks.

Factory Black:
    94-vette-049.jpg

Corsa:
    94-vette-041.jpg
    94-vette-001.jpg

Stainless Works:
    784250.jpg
    I've read aftermarket cold air kits are counter-productive on C4 corvettes and that the factory setup is actually decent. It's a straight shot and has a large filter area, larger than LS1 style lids. However the filter holder on my car has been cut and I'm not sure if that's helping or hurting performance. I'd like to do some sort of ramair or ambient air induction system down the road.

That's pretty much it for the bolt on's. I wouldn't mind doing some "Corvette" inserts like the second picture of the yellow Corvete. The attached picture below was accidental, but I can't get it to go away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    1994 Z28 383ci - Jake's 4L80 - Moser 9" [LE2 heads and LE cam - 121mph @5500DA]
    1995 Corvette 350ci - ZF6 - Dana 44 [GTP heads - XE503 - RamHD]
    1997 Ram 2500 - tractor motor - duel spinners - chimnie mod

Banned

Status
    Vehicle
    95 Corvette 6spd, 93 Z28, 93 Z28, and 97 V6 soon to be V8 swapped.

Nice car. I'm really glad you are enjoying it! Every 18 year old used car will have a few issues and quirks. As far as the exhaust tips, I got a set on the blowmasters on my 94 project car, when it get back from paint next month( local tech school), I'm cutting them off and putting the stocks back on. I'll cut the stock tips off the blowmasters and send them to you, if you don't find anything between now and then. I know what you mean about the cut air box, I put the one off the 94 onto the 95. I am getting some base line dyno pulls on the 95 before I start mods, I'm going to do it, stock, cut lid, then cut lid with the smooth bellows.

I agree about the Z06's, the details do get lost. I think the gunmetal grey would look badass on it.

Lurker

Status

Love some C4 Corvette. Looks to be pretty clean. I do think other wheels would compliment the car though.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Congrats man.... Glad ur lovin it.

Please keep is updated.

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
    LTXtech.com

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Thanks guys, glad I'm not the only one who thought the black wheels lacked depth. Maybe I'll swap the wheels out take pictures and post em up. I'll be texting that fella with the grey OEM Z06 wheels today and see if I can try em on.

Nuckin, they are the stock rectangular ones? If so they'd be great and I'll gladly send you the quads I have for a straight trade if you want them! There are pictures in the other thread. My only concern would be if they would fit my chambered mufflers, unless, they might slide inside... I think they were about 2.75" OD with the calipers, again you can see in the pictures how they are a big larger OD than the pipe going into them. Either way I definitely appreciate the generosity. Do you know the theory behind cutting the top of the air box? Is there typically a plastic cover or grate over the filter? I'm just curious on what people are trying to accomplish there.

Where are people getting smooth bellows? I actually need some for the Z28 more than the Vette, I can get my nitrous nozzles to mount right with what I've got.

I too hope to get some dyno time on this car as well as the other two. I never had time or money for dyno pulls, but now that I've got a little extra stashed away I wouldn't mind documenting some of my findings.

Also forgot the coolant temp sensor on the passenger head has a broken receptor, and only one wire going to the male plug. I'll be getting on that tonight.
    Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-21-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Banned

Status
    Vehicle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMOOTH-AIR-C...40344307738%26

Bellows^

Yes they are the stock rectangle tips. I got a set of stock mufflers for another guy for the 94 project, so off come the blowmasters. I'm not sure of the diameter , I'll measure them next chance I get.

It is supposed to let more air flow into the intake, not sure if it works are not, but I'll see on the dyno.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

And dont forget about the secret compartments i taught u about!

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
    LTXtech.com

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

Excellent, I'll take the tips if you can measure them and they'll fit. I'll PM my address and gladly send you money for shipping.

Yes Popo, now I've got a place to put my wallet since it's to bulky for my back pocket in these tighter seats. I would have never found that.

I never heard back from my OEM Z06 wheels guy, guess he already traded them. I know a few powder coating places that I could probably get them changed over, but I'm still on the prowl for something different. I think my buddy has some factory SS/ZR1 greys laying around I could try, plus the 2 sets I have in the garage. Oh, just remembered my buddy who's got a C6 Callaway and Lingenfelter car changed wheels about a year ago. I wonder how his factory ones would look... I'll load up some pictures, I know I've got them somewhere.

Callaway:

Lingenfelter and Callaway:

Both again:

My memory was wrong, I don't like the Callaway wheels. The wheels on the Callaway in the last two were the ones he swapped to. The Lingenfelter ones are nice, but who knows how they'd look on the C4. PS Yes I drove the Lingenfelter that day, put a few hours and couple hundred miles on it. It's got their 616hp 427ci motor. He wants me to go through it once I build the garage and put the GT21 cam in for a little more power.
    Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Thats a nice pair of vettes!

Banned

Status
    Vehicle

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast