Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

Status
    Name
    CHRIS
    Vehicle
    94 CAMARO.

hand tool wise i have a mix bag. mostly craftsman and sk. if i have to sacrifice a tool for a job i pick up cheap chines stuff. the stuff my life depends on. fluke all the way. i have 3 meters. fluke 187 and 1587 and a amprob power quality clamp meter.
    http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3572&dateline=1317253  626

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Vehicle
    1992 convertible camaro

I agree with the above on good wrenches. I turn wrenches all day. Have been for years. From aircraft , to trains , to cars. etc...
    I love my snap on flank drive wrenches.I also love my cheaper gear wrench ratcheting stuff.
    I do have a snap on solus ultra for diag stuff. A china knock off Launch diagun X431 , harbor freight cheap little scanner just for quick code scan or reset. Harbor freight snake camera , a ebay smoke machine that works great , etc.. So a VAST array of all stuff.

I do like the tool guys show up every week. and if something needs replaced my snap on guy is usually NO QUESTIONS asked and has whats needed on the truck. RARELY does he have to order something. (He has 3 trucks and a small warehouse at his home)
    '92 vert with 383 LT1 | 78mm turbonetics turbo, Tial 50mm BOV , Tial 44mm waste gate | Ported heads | Intake Drilled for MSD Pro Billet Distrib|Callies crank & rods | JE Pistons | T56 | spohon suspention.
    '97 Camaro LT1 /T56 | Longtubes | O/R Y pipe | Magnaflow cat back | K&N CAI | CSR EWP | Dynoed 292rwhp /321 rwtq Best et. 13.1@107 w/ 2.07 Sixty ft.
    ~Custom Made Billet Emblems | Thermal ,Ceramic & Powder Coatings ,etc.. Just PM me~

My dad had almost all Snap-On stuff. He got a tool allowance at work every year and the Snap-On guy was there every week. Back in the day I had a '79 Z28 and I had 3/8's head stainless steel header bolts. The header bolts would loosen up periodically. I would use his Snap-On box end wrench on them and then hook a larger wrench into the open end for more leverage. I could bend that little 3/8's wrench about 15-20 degrees with the leverage from the larger wrench and get those header bolts insanely tight. I still have that little wrench. I'm sure I could snap another brand's wrench in two, putting that kind of torque on it.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle
    Vehicle
    '95 Trans Am

Even the good stuff brakes. MAC 1/2 drive

Xtreme Member

Status

Im not a professional but I turn wrenches all week. I used to buy all name brand untill I got tired of replacing everything I lost, now I use harbor freight.

Ive found the only thing not to skimp on is rachets.
    Bryan
    1994 B4C "Special Service" Camaro - Stock LT1 - 6 speed - 46k miles - Madz28 Tune - 307/340 sae
    LT4 Clutch - Delteq Ignition - K&N CAI - Pacesetter LT Headers - Magnaflow Exhaust - Unbalanced Engineering/Koni Suspension
    LS1 Brakes/Drive Shaft - T2R Diff - 373's - much more...

Lurker

Status

I have an assortment of tools. Snap-on, Blue Point, HF, Fowler, Starrett, Power Probe, Bills Wholesale (local tool place) & of course Craftsman. I'm not too big on the flank drive from snap on, but have quite a few of their other wrenches. The big ones are Craftsman though. They are just too much from the truck. I do like the convenience of them coming to me instead of driving an extra 20 miles to swap something out. I can have a running truck account with no interest as well. If I find myself borrowing tools from one of the other techs, I will try to pick it up. I hate chasing my tools or having them grow legs & walk away.
    1994 TA - MY toy!! CIA, EGR air pump & ac delete, LT headers, 52mm TB, P&P heads, CC305 cam, 1.5 RR, TRW 20 over forged pistons, spec 2 clutch,electric cut out, magnaflow exhaust, tune by Solomon.
    1996 Camaro RS (Y87)

The Wrench

Status
    Name
    Chile
    Vehicle
    1994 9C1 6SPD

Quote Originally Posted by SexyTransAm View Post
    Even the good stuff brakes. MAC 1/2 drive
    Damn!!!! How tight was that bolt.
    ASE L1 Master Certified Tech's 9C1 T56. Yeah she's got a big butt. But watch her move it.

R.I.P. Z8

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle
    Vehicle
    '95 Trans Am

Way the hell too tight lol. I ended up heating the hell out of it till it was red, using a breaker bar and a 4 foot cheater pipe
    Kyle

just ur everyday slow LT1. wanna try her out?

Lurker

Status

Lets just say I like when dealership mechanics retire or get out of the business. They usually sell there tools at a great price. Im one of those mechanics who wants the big names but dont want to pay for it. I also frequent the pawn shops too for the name brand stuff. I know Im not the only one. LOL
    1994 Camaro Z-28 M6
    LE 242/248 cam,Crower split ratio rockers,AI 23*Trick Flow heads,JetHot longtube headers,Borla exaust,ewp,pro5.0,hybrid TNT wet kit.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    95 Z28 6 speed

I work on entertainer coaches and I have mostly snap on stuff. I do have a large assortment of craftsman sockets, but I mainly have snap-on. I have yet to break a snap on ratchet, or wrench. And have only broke some chrome sockets with an impact(we all do it). I have broke craftsman sockets and wrenches by hand. I like my knuckles and will continue to buy the "name brand" because like snap ons slogan, there is a difference.

I also love the convenience of CREDIT!!!! Truck credit is great, there's no finance charges.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast