Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28x10.5 Tire

Default 28x10.5 Tire

Can we get a dialogue going on setting up a 28x10.5 tire, stiffwall Hoosier or those running tubes would be most helpful. Running best 60' with... LCA bottom hole, TA bottom hole, Pinion -2, Rear SA shock 7, Fronts 2-4, Tire PSI 11.25-11.5 HOT immediately after run, set 11ish before burnout depending on tire temps.

I cannot get this tire to hook at anything higher than 11.5. It turns the tire coming off the transbrake maybe 1/2 rotation as opposed to a dead hook when the 60' times are best, but going up to 12 it will slow down 1-2 hundredths, and lose another 2-3 going to 12.5. Video shows the initial hit is quite good, with a tendency to bounce at lower tire PSI when it really dead hooks. But more tire PSI results in immediate spin and a corresponding .5 mph gain on top. Is it as simple as getting a good DA shock in the rear so I can control the compression (bounce) while letting it really slam the tire with a loose rebound and being able to raise the tire psi into the 12-13 range where I know there is some ET/MPH lurking? I see this problem getting worse when I throw the direct port at it next year, planning on going up to 28 jets...
    389ci N/A LT1 - 10.80 @ 123.5

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    CHRIS
    Vehicle
    94 CAMARO.

ok. let get a little more info and see what we come up with.

what gear?
    launch rpm? 2 step?
    are you spraying it? at the hit? progressive controller?
    weight?
    what transmission?
    tubes/no tubes?

also keep in mind dead hooking is not necessarily a good thing. when you start making a good amount of power you need the tire to slip a little or it will wad up and go into shake.

here is a clip from sgmp. it shook so bad the needle came off the speedo. i run 28x10.5w's. tire psi ranges from 14.5 to 16.5 depending on the track.

http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3572&dateline=1317253  626

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Stark
    Vehicle
    1994 Firehawk

What shock you running now ? I'm running Qa1's front and rear and my car likes full loose on the front and just the opposite out back full stiff.

Last edited by Badhawk; 11-27-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Jeff
    2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2015 LTX Shootout Extreme Street NA Champion.
    2013 Modified N/A runner up. 2015 Mod NA Champ
    1994 Pontiac Firehawk #51 10.82 @ 121mph 1.37 sixty ft.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    CHRIS
    Vehicle
    94 CAMARO.

Also what were the weather conditions and post some time slips and videos if you have them.
    http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3572&dateline=1317253  626

I have an issue with my car not hooking at all and after talking with a few racers they all seem to think that my rims are partially to blame. Are you running a 15x8 or a 15x10 wheel? I run a 15x8 and a 27x11.50 tire. By choking the tire down to a 8" rim, i'm not getting the proper contact patch that I should be getting. I have to run my tires way underinflated compared to other people in order to get them to stick a little. Anything over 12lbs, and i'm thinking that the contact patch shrinks side-to-side.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

Quote Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
    ok. let get a little more info and see what we come up with.

what gear?
    launch rpm? 2 step?
    are you spraying it? at the hit? progressive controller?
    weight?
    what transmission?
    tubes/no tubes?

also keep in mind dead hooking is not necessarily a good thing. when you start making a good amount of power you need the tire to slip a little or it will wad up and go into shake.

here is a clip from sgmp. it shook so bad the needle came off the speedo. i run 28x10.5w's. tire psi ranges from 14.5 to 16.5 depending on the track.
    4.71 gear
    4000 2 step, will go 5300 on the brake
    TH400 8" Converter
    N/A
    3300 pounds-ish. haven't weighed car
    Stiffwall no tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Badhawk View Post
    What shock you running now ? I'm running Qa1's front and rear and my car likes full loose on the front and just the opposite out back full stiff.
    QA1 "R" up front, routinely goes .02-.03 quicker on 2-3 clicks depending on track conditions rather than running full soft.
    Single QA1s out back on 7. Seems to like about a 4-5 on extension (but bounces BAD) and probably wants a 9 or 10 on compression if I had a DA.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
    Also what were the weather conditions and post some time slips and videos if you have them.
    DA was 4200 in this video but it's the best I've got to demonstrate the issue I'm having at launch. Went 1.49 60' and 11.00 at 121.5. Front was full soft with rear on 6. You can definitely see the tire pick up speed after the tire bounces back into the wheelwell, and also the front end immediately drops.

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    I have an issue with my car not hooking at all and after talking with a few racers they all seem to think that my rims are partially to blame. Are you running a 15x8 or a 15x10 wheel? I run a 15x8 and a 27x11.50 tire. By choking the tire down to a 8" rim, i'm not getting the proper contact patch that I should be getting. I have to run my tires way underinflated compared to other people in order to get them to stick a little. Anything over 12lbs, and i'm thinking that the contact patch shrinks side-to-side.
    Running 15x10 wheels. I agree that you're hurting your contact patch on the 8 inchers, and also it makes the sidewall more flexible! I feel like I'm running mine WAY soft as well

What torque arm are you running? Have you tried to lower the IC (instant center)?
    8.453 @ 163.58 mph (best mph 164.27)

http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24&dateline=128017345  3
    MAY 2011 cover/feature GMHTP......Jan 2008 cover/feature Camaro Performers
    2009,2010,2011,2015 LTX SHOOTOUT OUTLAW CHAMPION
    Current LT1 N2O record holder (Sept 5 2015)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Shepherd For This Post:

Running a UMI torque arm. Probably would benefit from a madman/burkhart type. Lowered to bottom hole (from top) on TA mount to lower IC which seemed to help a little but not alot. LCA in bottom hole, but as you can see the car is pretty low and there's not much angle to them.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Stark
    Vehicle
    1994 Firehawk

Looks like it hooks at first then unloads and starts to spin. I would do one quick check on the torque arm bolts to see if they have loosed at all because it will cause the tires to unload after launch this I know. I also think that tire pressure is to low. What is your tire pressure starting point at the track ? I have ran slicks and radials both and never had to run that low on pressure. My car on radials well prepped track hooks on 17 - 18 psi . You could also try raising the front of the car 1in.

Jeff
    2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2015 LTX Shootout Extreme Street NA Champion.
    2013 Modified N/A runner up. 2015 Mod NA Champ
    1994 Pontiac Firehawk #51 10.82 @ 121mph 1.37 sixty ft.

Yea front of the car is pretty low I started the season in the 13psi range and couldn't go faster than 1.52, it would just spin at the initial hit. At that point we started dropping tire pressure 1/2 psi until it hooked at about 11.5 psi. Next outing from watching vids we went out with TA dropped to get rid of the unloading. Went about .01 quicker to the 60', but optimal tire pressure dropped to about 11.25. Again this is hot right after I make a pass. If I'm setting pressure in the staging lanes we're talking 10.75-11.25 depending on how hot the tires are and how long of a burnout I plan on doing. Hell I've made a pass at 10.5 hot and it didn't slow down in the 60', still bounced, and only slowed down .3 mph or so on the top end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast