Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Default Sahara54's Formula build thread

Back again...no pictures unfortunately cause i suck at documenting my own builds. It’s been a slow 2 months, kinda lost ambition with the cold and other priorities popping up. I did get the whole front end in back together and did a sway bar delete, there was just no way to clear the hot and cold side. I redid my front brake lines, mounted my torque arm and driveshaft. I also replaced my AEM wideband and upgraded to the X-series, i was having issues logging the old one through hp tuners prolink. Now it’s dead on and I can tune correctly. I ended up ditching the 97 vette fuel rail for a set of Holley units since I went to a Aeromotive AFPR as the stock units can’t hold up with a walbro 450 pushing the fuel. I did do a thing to help my motivation...I fired it up for the first time and it ran great. I do have 2 oil leaks to track down but nothing crazy. I had a massive vacuum leak in one of my quick connect vacuum fittings so I replaced the plastic one with metal from motion raceworks. Anyway, that’s where I am now. Only have to do a final bleed on brakes and clutch, finish exhaust and swap my axles. Ohh and a massive thank you to Marc @95 blackbird for cleaning up my wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sahara54; 01-17-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

My yearly update!! Mainly because @harner called me out. Lol. So I've been gone for over a year due to some life issues which caused me to lose motivation from pretty much everything and distance myself from a lot of people including friends. Some may or may not have noticed my disappearance from FB just to limit the drama from my issue. Anyway, I'm back working on the car and I may have gone in a bit too hard. To bring everyone up to speed that haven't scrolled through the last 50 pages here it goes. My previously 355 Forged LT1/CC503/4L60 94 Formula is now LS swapped with a 5.3 aluminum block, Texas Speed forged rotating assembly, SS2 cam and all supporting valvetrain mods, Huron Speed T4 hotside blowing into a Gen 1 VSracing 7875. Trans is a T56 that was originally a LT unit that I faceplate swapped to LS with a LS7 clutch kit. Out back is a QP 9" with 4.11 gears (3.55's going in soon). Now is the last post I made I said I fired it up...I did and it ran well until a brand new lifter failed. Car went on back burner after my world fell apart. Larry always bitched at me for not taking picture but I got a ton for you.

I ended up picking up a set of Race Star front runners from @95 blackbird so I naturally had to get the matching rears...

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Thus started my need to get the car back up and running. So after learning part rocket science with HP Tuners I decided that it was time to learn a whole new program.

IMG_0599[7818].jpg

63269373452__EF6BCF25-3BD1-4EBC-AC47-01A4D0A17B22.jpg

I decided to also have E85 capability with a GM content sensor and a Sloppy Mechanics Alt/E85 harness and Low Dollar Motorsports pressure sensors for fuel and wastegate dome pressure for boost control.

0t8C95oqS2yNzZGSWgk29g.jpg

2020-12-17_16-22-31_108.jpeg

Speaking of boost control, I went with a Motion Raceworks dual Mac valve setup for controlling boost...but wait don't you need a constant pressure source. Yes you do, so when it's time to do racecar shit you do racecar shit. I went with a compressed air over CO2 since it's self contained and refilling CO2 sucks for a street car. A Viair 1 gal setup fit the bill and has been use on a few Drag Week cars so I'll trust it (Thanks to ClapdOut and KSR for the idea). I also mounted up the battery disconnect and went through the bumper with the handle. Also notice the Motion catch can next to the Mac Valves, much better that the eBay can I had there before. Don't worry about the rust from the old coolant bottle, the entire bay is being prepped and resprayed back to red to pretty it up.

2NYeBGo8RfudIoQKDSAgQw.jpg

4v9P7tOkRMO3HOqOST0pIw.jpg

C7ma7ZuoRfiSWSg8YBW_lw.jpg

This is the part where if you have electrical anxiety please look away. So with going to the Terminator X I needed a way to integrate it into the chassis harness. I wanted to use the factory wiring for fuel pump trigger wiring and fan relays and triggers. I ordered a Integration harness but since I wasnt keeping a stock ecu to control gauges or AC I trimmed the harness to what I was using. So a $450 harness became 5 wires that I could have probably made myself as I have all the connectors already laying around. Paid for that lesson the hard way but it is what it is. Pics are all 3 stages. Cut wires didnt go to waste, I've used them in the dash harness further down.

MeEkx7QlTWmI3su_I6p_2w.jpg

OHPO37bYRAiYXBa2lFXPyw.jpg

jHbryWJiSf2kcojGBkSE5Q.jpg

On to the car's chassis harness. FSM became my best friend for this part. So while doing a HVAC delete, I wanted to clean up the wiring and make it simpler to diagnose in the future. In the effort of weight reduction I removed large heavy bricks from under the passenger dash and steering wheel as well as all associated wiring. Vats components, hvac wires and controls, power seat wiring, majority of gauge cluster wires, starter relay (previously bypassed) and fuel pump relay were also removed. I retained the turn, high beam, fuel sender and horn trigger wires and wired them into a Holley plug to be integrated into the digital dash. Speedo is a Holley GPS unit. So all that's left is lights, stereo, retained power module, window and door wiring. You'll see the Holley is mounted via isolators on the delete panel. The lugs below are the battery pass-thru's to protect the power wires from the battery relocation from running directly through the firewall. The 1/4 airline from the air tank also has a pass-thru connector. I considered using a large Deutsch connector for the engine harness but thought that may be a tad overkill (kinda dumb statement at this point). The same process was used on the engine bay harness as well. The 1" bundle of wires on the drivers frame rail is now less than 1/2". Same process was used on the engine bay harness as well, sorry with a completed pic of that. Just lights, wipers and fans left. A few power wires were kept to supply KOff and Kon power. All wires were either mesh loomed or Tessa taped to clean up the look.

mA0A0IA9Qh6YhJ_4SOHTsQ.jpg

XRhoa_zYTzO4U3uHtcCJqA.jpg

2o5PLLWhTVWs8xz-AXfG1Q.jpg

j-nR3zeyTU-KyQK69LE3lQ.jpg

Vyg0OztmSt-REVQ8cS-PrA.jpg

m3tR1HGkRauAukRrrPnQBA.jpg

wx-XzqbUTKmS1pee2enoog.jpg

So as I write this work on the car is on hiatus for the time being. My daily driver truck dropped a DOD lifter and wiped the cam. So I pulled the motor to do a DOD delete and re-gasket the entire engine. Since I cant leave shit well enough alone it also received a Summit Pro Vortec LS cam, PAC 1218's, Trunnion lifters, LS2 timing setup, and some headers. After this I have multiple sudden projects on the list as well. 4.8 to 5.3 swap in a good friends Silverado. He really helped my get my shit together after everything went down which I dont think I could ever repay and a refresh of a 6.0/4l80 in a box truck for a friends new business.
    Last edited by Sahara54; 05-06-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    Formula Build Thread

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    My yearly update!! Mainly because @harner called me out. Lol. So I've been gone for over a year due to some life issues which caused me to lose motivation from pretty much everything and distance myself from a lot of people including friends. Some may or may not have noticed my disappearance from FB just to limit the drama from my issue. Anyway, I'm back working on the car and I may have gone in a bit too hard. To bring everyone up to speed that haven't scrolled through the last 50 pages here it goes. My previously 355 Forged LT1/CC503/4L60 94 Formula is now LS swapped with a 5.3 aluminum block, Texas Speed forged rotating assembly, SS2 cam and all supporting valvetrain mods, Huron Speed T4 hotside blowing into a Gen 1 VSracing 7875. Trans is a T56 that was originally a LT unit that I faceplate swapped to LS with a LS7 clutch kit. Out back is a QP 9" with 4.11 gears (3.55's going in soon). Now is the last post I made I said I fired it up...I did and it ran well until a brand new lifter failed. Car went on back burner after my world fell apart. Larry always bitched at me for not taking picture but I got a ton for you.

I ended up picking up a set of Race Star front runners from @95 blackbird so I naturally had to get the matching rears...

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Thus started my need to get the car back up and running. So after learning part rocket science with HP Tuners I decided that it was time to learn a whole new program.

IMG_0599[7818].jpg

63269373452__EF6BCF25-3BD1-4EBC-AC47-01A4D0A17B22.jpg

I decided to also have E85 capability with a GM content sensor and a Sloppy Mechanics Alt/E85 harness and Low Dollar Motorsports pressure sensors for fuel and wastegate dome pressure for boost control.

0t8C95oqS2yNzZGSWgk29g.jpg

2020-12-17_16-22-31_108.jpeg

Speaking of boost control, I went with a Motion Raceworks dual Mac valve setup for controlling boost...but wait don't you need a constant pressure source. Yes you do, so when it's time to do racecar shit you do racecar shit. I went with a compressed air over CO2 since it's self contained and refilling CO2 sucks for a street car. A Viair 1 gal setup fit the bill and has been use on a few Drag Week cars so I'll trust it (Thanks to ClapdOut and KSR for the idea). I also mounted up the battery disconnect and went through the bumper with the handle. Also notice the Motion catch can next to the Mac Valves, much better that the eBay can I had there before. Don't worry about the rust from the old coolant bottle, the entire bay is being prepped and resprayed back to red to pretty it up.

2NYeBGo8RfudIoQKDSAgQw.jpg

4v9P7tOkRMO3HOqOST0pIw.jpg

C7ma7ZuoRfiSWSg8YBW_lw.jpg

This is the part where if you have electrical anxiety please look away. So with going to the Terminator X I needed a way to integrate it into the chassis harness. I wanted to use the factory wiring for fuel pump trigger wiring and fan relays and triggers. I ordered a Integration harness but since I wasnt keeping a stock ecu to control gauges or AC I trimmed the harness to what I was using. So a $450 harness became 5 wires that I could have probably made myself as I have all the connectors already laying around. Paid for that lesson the hard way but it is what it is. Pics are all 3 stages. Cut wires didnt go to waste, I've used them in the dash harness further down.

MeEkx7QlTWmI3su_I6p_2w.jpg

OHPO37bYRAiYXBa2lFXPyw.jpg

jHbryWJiSf2kcojGBkSE5Q.jpg

On to the car's chassis harness. FSM became my best friend for this part. So while doing a HVAC delete, I wanted to clean up the wiring and make it simpler to diagnose in the future. In the effort of weight reduction I removed large heavy bricks from under the passenger dash and steering wheel as well as all associated wiring. Vats components, hvac wires and controls, power seat wiring, majority of gauge cluster wires, starter relay (previously bypassed) and fuel pump relay were also removed. I retained the turn, high beam, fuel sender and horn trigger wires and wired them into a Holley plug to be integrated into the digital dash. Speedo is a Holley GPS unit. So all that's left is lights, stereo, retained power module, window and door wiring. You'll see the Holley is mounted via isolators on the delete panel. The lugs below are the battery pass-thru's to protect the power wires from the battery relocation from running directly through the firewall. The 1/4 airline from the air tank also has a pass-thru connector. I considered using a large Deutsch connector for the engine harness but thought that may be a tad overkill (kinda dumb statement at this point). The same process was used on the engine bay harness as well. The 1" bundle of wires on the drivers frame rail is now less than 1/2". Same process was used on the engine bay harness as well, sorry with a completed pic of that. Just lights, wipers and fans left. A few power wires were kept to supply KOff and Kon power. All wires were either mesh loomed or Tessa taped to clean up the look.

mA0A0IA9Qh6YhJ_4SOHTsQ.jpg

XRhoa_zYTzO4U3uHtcCJqA.jpg

2o5PLLWhTVWs8xz-AXfG1Q.jpg

j-nR3zeyTU-KyQK69LE3lQ.jpg

Vyg0OztmSt-REVQ8cS-PrA.jpg

m3tR1HGkRauAukRrrPnQBA.jpg

wx-XzqbUTKmS1pee2enoog.jpg

So as I write this work on the car is on hiatus for the time being. My daily driver truck dropped a DOD lifter and wiped the cam. So I pulled the motor to do a DOD delete and re-gasket the entire engine. Since I cant leave shit well enough alone it also received a Summit Pro Vortec LS cam, PAC 1218's, Trunnion lifters, LS2 timing setup, and some headers. After this I have multiple sudden projects on the list as well. 4.8 to 5.3 swap in a good friends Silverado. He really helped my get my shit together after everything went down which I dont think I could ever repay and a refresh of a 6.0/4l80 in a box truck for a friends new business.
    Glad to see you back man! I may have to pay you to come up and do my battery relocation wiring, that is PRETTY lookin
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    Glad to see you back man! I may have to pay you to come up and do my battery relocation wiring, that is PRETTY lookin
    Thanks! I'm trying to step up my wiring game with the right tools for the job. When I was going through the dash removing the old gauges and boost control I looked at the wiring and hated myself for it.
    Formula Build Thread

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    Thanks! I'm trying to step up my wiring game with the right tools for the job. When I was going through the dash removing the old gauges and boost control I looked at the wiring and hated myself for it.
    i was gonna shoot you a dm, but did you go all out and get a terminal crimper so there was no splices? i think thats my plan this winter, get a painless street rod harness for the lights etc and a painless standalone harness for the engine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

That little air compressor for the boost controller is pure bad assery. Think I'm gonna have to steal that idea.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
    1995 FORMULA M6

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 95 blackbird For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 95 blackbird View Post
    That little air compressor for the boost controller is pure bad assery. Think I'm gonna have to steal that idea.

So does that mean were putting Holley on the GN?

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    i was gonna shoot you a dm, but did you go all out and get a terminal crimper so there was no splices? i think thats my plan this winter, get a painless street rod harness for the lights etc and a painless standalone harness for the engine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I don't have the legit Holley tool, I used a set of simple crimpers that do the job. If there was a splice it was either a non-insulated connector with heat shrink or a weather pack connection for disassembly.
    Formula Build Thread

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

Of course. But by the time I'm ready for that they'll probably be on version 11.3

1995 FORMULA M6

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 95 blackbird For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 95 blackbird View Post
    Of course. But by the time I'm ready for that they'll probably be on version 11.3

Well, I just updated to Ver. 6...on the dash. Term is on Ver. 2.
    Formula Build Thread

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

BAJA UPDATE!!! Dammit...1 YEAR UPDATE!!

Here it goes...So in continuing my rate of progress, I haven't done shit but it not for a lack of spending dumb money. The car is on the back burner still, the issue with my truck has persisted for well over a year to the point of second engine, new trans and transfer case. Backed by multiple "no choice" engine swaps on friends daily's and business vehicles my vehicular motivation has been zero.

Here's the added list of parts I still need to put on -
    Holley Low Ram Intake
    Richard Holdner/Happle "Best Cam" turbo cam
    Morel Link Bar lifters
    PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 heads
    VS Racing 7875 Billet gen 2.5 turbo
    Huron Speed Billet Duel 450 fuel sender
    8an Feed/6an Return PTFE fuel line
    BMR front control arms Upper/Lower
    QA1 Coilovers Front/Rear
    Tunnel Mount TA from @SSlowBoat

I did put the dash in to test fit the Holley screen in the Reversion Raceworks bezel. It' made for a Camaro so it has gaps but its the best I've found till now for the Firebird dash.

IMG_1636[1908].jpg

That will have to come back out to extend a few wires from the fuse box I forgot to do as well as possibly getting sent out for a cage. The amount of power I'm looking for as well as future plans for the car to be a drag and drive participant kind of dictate to start spending money on safety. Hopefully this fall when it cools off is when I plan to start on it again...or I'll see you in the 2023 post with the same excuses. SMH.
    Last edited by Sahara54; 06-24-2022 at 10:06 PM.
    Formula Build Thread

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950