Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Needs Driver Mod

Status

Default stock gears with cam

Anyone run a decent sized cam with the stock 342 gears in an m6? I know I should have bought a rear first but I didn't.

My thing is I don't want to dump money into my 10th bolt. I also don't want the car to be nutless and hard to drive.

Cam is a 226/234 on a 110 lsa.

Should I go ahead and do gears or will the car still run okay until I get a new rear?
    Wanting to hear from some guys actually running big cans and stock gears.
    1997 Trans am- M6- Ebay Longtubes, Summit X pipe with Magnaflows, CAI, Adj LCAs with relocation brackets, Comp engineering shocks, Competition stage 2 clutch.

Lurker

Status

It's a pain in my ass sometimes but its possable I broke my 4.10 and had to run the stock 3.42 huge difference just have to bring up the rpms . But its ahole lot better taking off with a 4.10 .
    97 firehawk m6 with a forged long rod 355 stock heads and intake soon to be upgraded to LE 21* tfs heads and a big ass cam , rpm built level 5 t56 trans s60 with 4.30 gears umi suspension walbro pump and hot wire kit and a spinning best 12.36 @ 114 crap 60 foot.

Needs Driver Mod

Status

What cam do you have?
    1997 Trans am- M6- Ebay Longtubes, Summit X pipe with Magnaflows, CAI, Adj LCAs with relocation brackets, Comp engineering shocks, Competition stage 2 clutch.

Lurker

Status

It's a 230/236 113 I drove it with the stock 3.42 all summer it was fine really just with my cam and clutch it really needs a 3.73 or higher I'm either going with another 4.10 or a 4.30 the 4.10 seemed rite in the sweet spot tho .
    97 firehawk m6 with a forged long rod 355 stock heads and intake soon to be upgraded to LE 21* tfs heads and a big ass cam , rpm built level 5 t56 trans s60 with 4.30 gears umi suspension walbro pump and hot wire kit and a spinning best 12.36 @ 114 crap 60 foot.

Lurker

Status

Back when I had my Camaro, I was rocking a 222/230 112 LSA with an M6 and 3.23's (M6 swap). It was very drivable on the street, but a PITA in parking lots. You should be fine with stock gears, no reason to waste money on bigger gears if you're saving up for a rear end.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

InActive Member

Status

You will be fine, I had a much bigger cam running on 3.42s for a while before I got my S60. Your not going to notice it to be honest.

InActive Member

Status

im in the same boat as you OP, i didnt want to dump money into the 10 bolt either, im gonna be runnin a cc306 with 3.42s once i get my motor back in

over caffinated

Status

drivability is subjective. i had 3.42 for a short time with a 230/236/110 in the old engine. i could drive it fine thou is was lacking down low, however my wife couldn't drive it. when i got off my ass and installed the strange with 4.10's she could drive it fine.

what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that allow me to do with things that would be a nightmare for people like you.

Needs Driver Mod

Status

Thanks guys. I was scared I was gonna have to throw gears in my ten bolt but it sounds like ill be fine until I can get a bigger rear.