Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: Automatic

Founding Member

Status

Default Automatic

Does anybody do autoX in auto cars? How terrible is it? I'd love to, but my car is a slutomatic. I almost want to buy a second just to autoX.

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

i have a bunch
    to make a good autox fbody with an A4 car look for two things good powers steering and the 2.73 gears... what i did is you can take out the shifter and there is a lil rubber bump stop to keep you from going all the way down in to 1st a good razor blade/knife fixes that and the car wont shift our of first ... you will hit the rev limiter and bounce all day but it wont shift if you remove the bump stop and put it in first. 2.73 are what you want for the gears in the rear cause 1st will take you all the way to 50 ish just before the limiter(if you tune the car and raise the limiter higher you can get a few more mph out of it). most courses average speed for a "fast/good driver" are 35-40mph with speeds up to 55-65 if there is a long straight. if you go faster than that you prolly wont have time to stop even with good brakes and tires.

now running the car in 1st is a lot of fun at first and you will learn how to slide and steer with you right foot but the magic happens in 2nd gear. you can do a course in 1st and have fun sliding and blasting out of corners spinning tires and what not, lots of smiles there. but the motor is running higher RPMs and makes the car more "twitchy". put the car in 2nd and the rpms come down some and the car calms down and you dont force the car through the corners as much as you glide through and flow easy... not as much fun and exciting BUT the clock wont lie and your times will come down ... (slower is faster ... kinda) ... dont stab the throttle coming out of corners roll into it and the car wont down shift in to 1st and get all crazy on you ... try to think about autox as gain all the speed right at the start and after the first corner just try to keep that momentum going. not all ways go faster faster faster but more of a smooth, flowing, calm. drive around the course.

look into nitto NT-01 tires i run them up front and with stock brakes and no abs (its broke) from 80 mph if i slam on the brakes as hard as i can the front tires wont lock up (too much grip) the car comes to a stop fast and my nose gets longer. the front of the car drops so hard my air dam drags till the car stops. they are a r compound tire and dont last long about 8-12 thousand miles depending on how you drive if they are on a DD car like mine. another good thing to look into getting is a strut tower brace yeah they can look dumb but the do help stiffen up the heavy front end.
    Last edited by zooguy; 08-27-2011 at 05:23 AM.
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

Founding Member

Status

Interesting stuff man, thanks for the reply!