Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

InActive Member

Status

Default 95 Chevy 1500. Carb Swap. Making the 4l60e shift

I just wrapped up a carburetor swap on a friends hunting truck. Had been through 4 pcms, injectors, IAC valves etc. He finally got fed up with the TBI system. I recommended switching over to a carb instead of dumping money into the electronics again. The truck gets beaten on pretty bad and often sunk. Adding a carburetor sounded like a great idea.

So we switched over. New return FPR, fuel filter, MSD HEI, plugs, wires, and a Holly 670 Truck avenger with a Holly TPS. Truck now runs absolutely amazing. Except the tranny wont shift. Feels like its stuck in 3rd. Reverse feels better but still not right. We were told by the speed shop that as long as we leave everything connected it would work fine. NOT. I've been doing some reading and posting on fullsizechevy and seem to be getting mixed answers. Some posts say that you cannot run a 4l60e with a carb swap. Another say you can with a TPS installed. One says its as easy as one wire. The site pretty much worthless if your doing mods other than tires and suspension, I don't know what to do now. Adding a stand alone controller is another $600 that we don't want to spend on this beater. The 4l60 is brand new and worked fine until we deleted the TBI system.
    Does anyone have any info on what I would need to do in order to make this thing shift?

Weather modding the harness, tuning the PCM or adding a stand alone controller at last resort. I can tune the truck with C.A.T.S. Figure all it needs is an RPM, VSS, and TPS signal to function.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance.
    95 Impala SS Clone

LTX Regular

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 Z28

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-230776.html

"GM makes a transmission controler box to allow the 4l80e and 4l60e to run in a vintage carbed vehicle in the GM Performance Parts catalog."

Found that so I googled and came up with this

http://www.optishift.com/

This help? Seems a little pricey, I think you could pick up a 700r4 for that much.

1995 Camaro Z28 - Full SS suspension conversion, Polyball LCAs, Magnaflow exhaust, Shift kit, 2400 stall.

InActive Member

Status

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to avoid spending more money on this mud truck. But its sounding like we may have to invest is a stand alone controller. I wonder if I could tune the engine out of an lt1 PCM and use one to control only the tranny lol. Gah.
    95 Impala SS Clone

InActive Member

Status

the 4l60e trans defaults to 3rd gear without a trans controller which is the pcm in a 95 chevy truck the trans uses 2 shift solenoids to control gear changes and with both solenoids off you get 3rd gear. the only way to get that trans to shift is with a trans controller of some sort . do you still have the pcm still hooked up in truck? it might still work if you had and all the sensors hooked up but will have to figure a way to run a tps sensor . would have to ignore check engine light though