Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Default Looking at redoing the Rings... how about some upgrades?

So I think I need new rings... the motor has less then 3000 miles but when I gun it it smokes. I am fighting the urge to let it go and seeing if I have enough to handle the problems it has.

I obviously need to replace the rings, I would assume doing the seals and such would be warranted but since the motor was gone through supposedly before it sat for a year I am hoping I will not need to much and that maybe it will not take me a LONG time to do.

So what should I be looking to order?

I was also thinking about bumping the compression a little and if suggested new rods and such. Any thoughts? I would love a 355 build (Thanks for the correction sorry been looking at the 355 and the 383 stroker)... but I doubt I can afford all that.

What should I be looking at and expecting for this being my first time going this far into a motor... what I should be buying... and what I should be looking for.

Thanks
    Last edited by Cross; 11-02-2008 at 05:57 PM.
    Denny Crane /Rotary = Fail\
    LTx 355 w/ GM 847

Bastardized LT1 Car

Status

no such thing as a 355 stroker. and unless you have the funds stay away from gonig 383 because a 383 on a 350 budget is going to lot you a pos motor that is under powered and not what you wanted. to get the full potential out of all the ci of a stroker you need a good cam and not all the good cams are great for DD'ing. and off the shelf grinds arent justified either lol

:Jon:
    94 Z28 - Turbo LQ4 Build - T56 - Moser 9"
    06 Tundra DD - Michelin Go Fast tires
    99 WS6 T/A - 3800 Stall - 3.73 Gears
    07 Hayabusa - blacked out - brocks/hindle exhaust - sprocketed - PCIII - lowered & stretehed
    09 Yamaha R6 - Sold

InActive Member

Status

Rings should smoke all the time, if you let off the gas then get on it and you get a puff of smoke that is valve seals. I would try replacing valve seals first. You can do it on the vehicle but I am sure just like anything else on our rigs it will be a pita to do.
    1993 Camaro Z28 A4 , 1977 Camaro LT 350 M4
    Car Journal - Car Images - Treasure Valley F-Body's

Your right on the 355 sorry I have been looking at the 383 Stroker and the 355 build and I just was not paying atten when I wrote 355 Stroker.

I would love to believe its Valve Seals or even head gaskets I can handle that no problem but rings... at that point its time to do more because even if it was all done less then 3k ago... why go in there and not replace it all...
    Anyway I put a video of it up in my other thread.
    Denny Crane /Rotary = Fail\
    LTx 355 w/ GM 847