Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Default Getting my car out from long term storage. What else should I consider?

My Z in my sig has been in storage since May of 2010. At that time it was driven for 5 days. Before that, it had been in storage since the fall of 2008. I had fuel stabilizer put in both times. It has been up on jackstands, and I put a large amount of baking soda in a tray under the engine to help keep the humidity low, along with disconnecting the battery and putting a car cover on, all while being kept in a garage.

I plan on getting my Z out in a few days. I plan on taking it for a short spin, and doing a oil and filter change. I'll then finish what gas is left in the tank while driving it carefully and not getting into the gas. After new gas is put in, I'll continue to drive it for about a week. Then, the plan is to replace the fuel filter, the spark plugs, the oxygen sensors, and check for any obvious cracks or leaks in any hose lines or belts.

My question is; is there anything else I am forgetting? Should there be anything else to consider after having the car put away for that period of time?
    1995 Z28 - disfunctional now, perhaps insane after its "treatment"
    1998 Formula WS6 -Heads, cam, intake, bolt ons 441RWHP

InActive Member

Status

i dont know if i would go as far as to change to o2s.....but it sounds like youve got the bases covered.

Parts gathering for the turbo build has commenced!!!
    junk i have - 76mm turbo, 60# msd injectors, block, heads, intake, tb, tunercats, 1 ajax 2 bar factory pcm tune, moates apu1!
    junk i need - camshaft, rods, +30 turbo pistons

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 93phoenix View Post
    i dont know if i would go as far as to change to o2s.....but it sounds like youve got the bases covered.
    Don't know that storage would do anything to the O2's either. I am changing them just because I can't remember the last time I did.

VIP Member

Status

what about a coolant flush.
    '94 Trans am - M6
    '02 NHRA vert - M6

Quote Originally Posted by Blubird View Post
    nice and mustang dont belong in the same sentence

You are going to want to keep an eye on your seals (diff seal, rear main, front main, opti seal, etc.). If these have dried out, they are going to leak like a sieve. You don't want to run out of fluid in any one of these vital areas ... could get ugly quick. Just a "look out for" item.
    94 Z28 LT1 M6 - ​SOLD

How do the tires look?

VIP Member

Status

I personally would check the oil first. Then maybe change the oil and fill up the tank with fresh gas. Better hope the fuel pump hasnt died. I have Hyundai Tiburon at my shop right now that hasnt been driven for 4 years and the pump is dead. I wouldn't change the plugs or O2's unless it needs it.
    1995 Z28 1997 SS S10

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT7 View Post
    what about a coolant flush.
    Does coolant go bad after time?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulster2 View Post
    You are going to want to keep an eye on your seals (diff seal, rear main, front main, opti seal, etc.). If these have dried out, they are going to leak like a sieve. You don't want to run out of fluid in any one of these vital areas ... could get ugly quick. Just a "look out for" item.
    Yeah, I'll definatly be looking over everything plastic and rubber. Like I said, after I fire it up for the first time, the idea is to take it for a quick spin, then do an oil and filter change. If things are cracked and leaking like a sieve, I should find out quickly during this time.

Quote Originally Posted by James Montigny View Post
    How do the tires look?
    Fronts are good. Rears I sold just before the car went away in May, and I am running on an old set of spares that are in "fair" condition, until I get a new set (should be within the next couple of weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by chevymec View Post
    I personally would check the oil first. Then maybe change the oil and fill up the tank with fresh gas. Better hope the fuel pump hasnt died. I have Hyundai Tiburon at my shop right now that hasnt been driven for 4 years and the pump is dead. I wouldn't change the plugs or O2's unless it needs it.
    I will check the level before I start it (it was new oil pretty much when I put it away last). Like I said before, I will drive it just a little, then do an oil and filter change. I have a fuel pressure guage on the pillar, so if the fuel pump is dead, I'll know that before I start it. And if it starts to die afterwards, I'll know why immediatly and I can shut it down. The plugs need to be changed, so I am doing that. The O2's don't have hardly any miles on them, but I am changing the headers, and just figured that I would change them anyways.

The problem with oil is that it breaks down over time when contaminents are introduced.. I would not run the oil that is in it.. Its simple enough to change it..

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer2536 View Post
    The problem with oil is that it breaks down over time when contaminents are introduced.. I would not run the oil that is in it.. Its simple enough to change it..
    When I got the car out in May, a new change of oil and filter was done, then it was put away. That oil and filter had less than 5 days worth of driving. Since, all the car has done is sat. What are the contaminents you are talking about? I was told (a long time ago mind you), that it is best to have the oil run through the engine after sitting, THEN change the oil and filter.

I guess ideally I could change the oil and filter before the engine is started initially, then drive it for a quick spin, then change the oil and filter again right after that. I am sure this would probably be the ultimate best way to go. But is it really necissary to do the two oil changes within a 20 minute period of time? After all, the "quick spin" will probably consist of maybe 5-10 miles, then a new filter and change of oil was planned anyway.

What do you think? Please elaborate more in detail.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast