Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

Default 1999 firebird lt/4l60e swap

08-16-2009 Here are some pics of my ltx swap build, just picked the car up on saturday, $550(wit a tow) 3.8 v6 99 firebird auto, putting 350 lt1 out of my fiances 95 formula as he is putting his forged 383 in his car, doing the swap very soon. Like I said here are some pictures of the car.
    The run down on the motor for the swap....

The motor is coming from his 95 Formula Mods in Sig. its going to get a basic rebuild the rings are shot and if the cyls look bad we might take it 30 over ether way its getting cheap Speed Pro 11-1 or 11-5 pistons, stock rods and crank with Arp rod an main bolts with all new rings an Bearings and oil pump with Hardened shaft the cam is a CC306 out of his car and were having his stock heads shaved an ported. If I can get a set up for the right cost it will have a braked th400 with a large stall and maybe MV body. Im going to try to pick up a bunch of bolt ons cheap too found alot on craigslist....

Body Mods:
    NEW FRONT BUMPER! TA Hatch, Ram Air hood, paint job soon to come!!

08-17-2009 well i almost got the 3.8 started today, after the starter mess (thanks phil and stephanie) i put a lt1 solinoid on the 3.8 starter and it started turning over very slow belt was barely moving (turns out the compressor is frooze up) took the belt off now its turning over great. But still no fire checked to see if theres fuel going to the rail (by the valve in the test port) and nothing but a lil drip came out dont hear the fuel pump comming on checked fueses and relays they seem good so i think it needs a fuel pump nothin is ever easy. i really need to see how the 3.8 runs so i will be able to possibly sell it for some lt1 parts lol.

08-19-2009
    so after MPE331lx and 1hottcamaro came over (THANKS SO MUCH) and cut out an access panel to the pump, and installed there pump it now runs. But we had to pump out all the bad 10 gallons of nasty smelling old gas out, putting new gas in and some injector cleaner tomorrow, then we gotta find out the ac compressor deal and take it around the block. then we have to get my t56 bell housing welded up and start planning an ordering parts for the swap.

08-20-2009
    pics and project will be started and comming soon, might have found a deal on a 95 formula with motor and trans running an driving so we might be going to pick that up instead of rebuilding my motor in my formula. just trying to find the cash.

the 3.8 now has new gas injector cleaner, oil change with 40w oil, new fuel pump (thanks phil and steph) new plugs, and now a new submersible fuel hose for the in tank pump. it just started running smoother and the engine is quiet now no more noisy lifters. Just found out today it does have a posi disc brake rear (if u dont believe me ill get drive way pics) so that should save us some money but to drive it with the 3.8 it needs a compressor or a delete pulley it is locked up solid an wont budge.

08-22-2009 so we picked up a 1994 Trans AM, lt1 stock except magnaflow exhaust, air foil, hypertech, and K&N filter. Paid 500 cash 110 for the tow, has no title though. great interior, runs and drives trans slips bad rear is good has the trans performace button. Has full trans am body kit minus the hatch. like i said its a running an driving car that is complete.

edit- swap going to be starting very soon.

heres the pics to it.

08-22-2009 so today was a long day we worked on the 94 TA only and found out the trans was low on fluid so we put some in it now it shifts through all gears we slips when u get on it and slips before changing gears, doing a filter change tomorrow though. We also stripped the dash, carpet, seats. door pannels, speakers, factory amp, air bags, and all other interior item out of it getting ready to pull the harness. That was a pita! heres a couple quick pics on the progress were doing the same thing to the 1999 tomorrow. and we found out (when mpe331lx/1hottcamaro came over thanks for pointing that out) the ta doesnt have a magnaflow it has a slp 2otl muffler

1995 Formula 383/t56 gone
    1993 Camaro Z28, forged, TFS heads, solid roller, prosystems carbed, t56 swapped spec 3+
    "Nitrous is like Tara Reid with an STD. You want to hit it, but your afraid of the consequences"

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

08-23-2009 took some more of the car apart today, and did a trans filter an new fluid, and got my formula outta the garage and the TA in the garage heres some pics. now we can get the motors out and strip down the 94. trans is a little better but still seems to slip .

08-25-2009 update trans am is almost completly apart (body kit wire harness, intake opti crank hub accessorys radiator condensor etc) the 99's interior is all out including the dash. motor for the 99 the v6 maybe sold for 325 tomorrow not to sure yet

and big thanks to popo8 i no longer have to worry about the trans am being stolen or a repo/theft deal and i dont have to be affaid to have it in my yard. Hes a awesome member on here and can be completly trusted with vital information. You truly dont have to worry about what u say on here.

08-29-2009 update motor and trans is out of the 94 trans am, were waiting for someone to buy the 3.8 a4 this weekend so we can get that out.

08-29-2009 update--- motor trans, k member full k member, engine harness, brake system, ac system, cooling system, powersteering, fuel lines, everything is about outta the engine bay. i really should have labled alot of stuff, thank god i took pics and have shbox.com to help me out when organizing stuff.
    heres some lame pics of whats done.

1993 Camaro Z28, forged, TFS heads, solid roller, prosystems carbed, t56 swapped spec 3+
    "Nitrous is like Tara Reid with an STD. You want to hit it, but your afraid of the consequences"

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

09-07-2009 heres a bit of a up date its been awhile the motor and trans is now out of the 99, pulled it through the bottom never realized how easy that is till now. the complete harness is almost outta the 94 just trying to figure out how to get it outta the car its unbolted and uncliped from everything just laying in the car. interior and dashes are out of both cars, the 94 is completly stripped of everything except the gas tank so far. Sold the 3.8 motor sat. for 400 bucks with everything computer/wiring, accessorys/fuel lines motor mounts. now i just need to sell the trans. we bought some coated long tube headers y pipe with dynomax bullet. Starting to order parts for the lt1 thursday or friday. Arp rod bolt, roller rockers, timming chain, impalla head gaskets, and complete gasket kit, new valve springs, and stall. Still have a trans situation ether gotta get this one rebuilt or find another one. hopefully will be getting this project done in a month or less. ill be adding pics of the progress in a few when there done uploading on photobucket. the lt1 is tore down pretty good just gotta get it on a stand an pull the pan, the heads are off, cleaned the surface and the pistons, motor looks decent inside for 150k miles.

09-13-2009 so a little update...

went today on a 6 hour drive, and brought home a 1996 corvette 4l60E trans that has 88,000 miles on it (dude had a awesome lt1 vette) it came with the converter and everything. we also brought home a TCI 4L60E 3200 Stall that has under 2000 miles on it and looks nice. total spent was 325.00 for everything.

so i took the part number off the converter and looked it up an heres what it says

These TCI StreetFighter converters are completely remanufactured with furnace-brazed fins, needle bearings, and a flame-hardened hub. StreetFighter converters will give you about a 3,000 to 3,500 rpm stall speed. They're recommended for use on high-compression street/strip engines and higher performance cars and are used on some of the fastest street machines the world over. Plus, some applications are available with an anti-ballooning plate for use on vehicles equipped with nitrous oxide

09-16-2009 a little bit of a update

we got some good stuff in the mail and more coming

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

09-18-2009 update more parts came in the last couple days new valve spings with 10d retainers gasket matched the heads, threw on the new 1.6 3/8 std, SA roller rockersand locks

09-29-2009 UPDATE!! FOUND A FRONT BUMPER!! After weeks of painfull searching, and phone calls. I can't believe the amount of stupid people that own these cars and don't know shit about them...I mean I don't know a lot, but damn... lol Neways Ya...Got a front bumper!!

10-01-2009 well we got the front nose its on kinda. Found a good bit of damage under the stirofoam junk, the bumper is pushed into the windshield washer fluid bottle enough where its busted an pinched. but heres some quick pics, mite be trying to trade the trans am front bumper for a firebird one. After months of seaching the body is finally complete and undamaged

10-04-2009 well the whole harness and ac junk is outta the 99, ive installed the 94 abs in the 99, and the gas/brake pedel assmebly, the under hood body harness is all where it needs to lay, im trying to sort out the body harness inside the car though its quite crazy though and a bit over my head but im trying. ive installed the brake booster and master, also the 94 shifter and installed the shift cable and throttle cable. heres some pics of the trans am all stripped and the 99 being getting ready to be assembled.

10-04-2009 progress is picking up alot more that ive sat down done research and asked more questions, there for awhile i had no will to work on it i was kinda giving up on it and believeing that it was over my head but now im all for getting it done in the next couple weeks and seeing a first start.

10-04-2009 just pulled the rod caps and looks like it needs bearings too.

10-07-2009 the trans am is gone, sold it for 50 bucks as pretty much a bare shell with a firebird hatch and fenders. so that outta my way!

on another note, im lost in the wiring end of the car so im going to take a break from the car for awhile, and order my motive 4.10 gears, and new tires this week. i just dont want to get to a point where i put it all back together and have to ripp it out i have been so annoyed with trying to lay out the harness in the right spot and find places for it all to go but it seems the 99 is just so diffrent, and ive never touched wiring before so i jumped into it trying to learn it and try to do it all on my own but its just not working. ive been an ass to the family lately just from being irritated at wiring so a break is needed for sure. now its time to make my car faster lol. And thenyea and just went for a quick drive an now my A/C dont work anymore FML

10-09-2009 and to add to the list of parts just bought a cam should be here tuesday.

hunting for side skirts and a ta hatch and ram air hood now...

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

yea so update...

the motor is takin down to a bare block, the cam bearings are shot and it seems the motor has been hot a few times. Crank needs to be polished possibly turned, and need to order all new bearings. rod, main, cam, and prolly ordering new rings FML! and rocker studs, so its going to feel like christmas time early when all the parts roll in. id really like to order some forged slugs to go in but she doesnt have the money and apparently doesnt need them for a daily driver pics up loading in a few mins of progress. ive been working alot on the body, fixing dents and sanding and primering too. the rocker pannels are pretty beat up

so a lil bit of progress....

crank is at flag ship engines, till friday.
    i have to order a ass load of more parts tomorrow, hope to have the motor done by the end of next week. wiring harness is going to be finished up this weekend and hope to get all the ac stuff dash and interior back in it. hope to have it running and driving the month of november.

oo and in the middle of it all ive been painting my hatch, wing, front and rear bumper is doing touch up on my car, but still need a new hood, headlight doors, and mirror.

heres the parts list of the junk i gotta order does anyone kno if its good shit or what else should i get.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-E-530K/ rings.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-4663M/ main bearings.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-2555CP/ rod bearings.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-1235M/ cam bearings.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-134-6005/ rod bolts.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-134-7104/ arp rocker studs

I already have these parts. for the build

timming chain kit cloyes stock http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLO-C-3039/
    all new gaskets
    oil pump and pic up and steel shaft
    986-16 springs http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-986-16/
    10 degree retainers and locks http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-747-16/
    1.6 roller rockers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66915/
    all new head bolts http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-ES72856/
    and tci 3200 stall http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-243105/
    cc306 cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-07-306-8/

crank is done, and i finished the paint on my car so now, full attention goes to her car build should be done soon!

before paint pic.....

update...

the rods are at flagship being resized and getting arp rod bolts intalled. the crank has been polished. cam bearings cam in the mail with the rod bolts so monday the block going to flagship when i pick up the rods to have the cam bearings installed. Matt came over today and did a quick hone thanks matt, we washed the motor with simple green and then wd40 the whole thing. heres the pics

before hone

after hone

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

the scratches

update....

rods are back from flagship 140 dollars later lol. block still needs cam bearings installed. the rest of the parts should be here tomorrow (rings, bearings, and arp rocker studs) the pistons and rods came out pretty nice, they resized them cleaned them and put the arp rod bolts in. I also have been doing a little grinding on the heads smoothing out some of the surface near the valves. hopefully will be getting the block to flagship today or tomorrow, and hoping the scratches in the bores arnt a problem.

before

after

pistons and rods...

update...

today the piston rings, rod bearings, and main bearings, and arp rocker studs came in since i have way to much to do, i went ahead and took all the parts including the block to flag ship engines (had to go there anyways to get cam bearings installed) and im going to let them put the rotating assembly together, it will save me alot of time and headache. the deadline to have this thing done is 11/24. were going camping on the 26 so we want it done before them, so now its going to be a thrash theres still so much to doooo. interior and dash will go in tomorrow along with the rear swap and fuel tank an line swap. friday, ill flush the trans an converter out and put a new filter and gasket on it, ill remove the k member so when the motor gets done ill set it all on the k and throw it under, from there its time to put the heads on intake headers, oil pan an all the gaskets, cam and valve train on set the lash install it, and time for some gas and a test start, then waiting for paint, were still kinda waiting to figure out a opti situation since shes suposed to get my old opti (the cap is melted on the non vented opti and one plug wont clip on it) swaping to vented.... updates an pics later.

update...

motor is back from flagship engines 250 bucks later, but its all done by a very well known shop, they did another hone, put the cam bearings in, installed the rings, my new main bearings in and rod bearings and dipped the block and assembled it. i supplied all the parts. i got it home put the cc306 cam in and the new cloyes timing chain so far should be a complete long block by tomorrow. gotta get some paint on it soon. heres some quick pics after i unloaded it and pics of the old bearings

Update....

Well the motor is pretty much all together just have some little stuff left to do to it. Trans is completly ready i still need to work on the harness and interior and brakes still. But the old rear end is out and so is the fuel system, just got to finish installing the fuel lines and throw the lt1 rear end up under it. i still think theres a couple days before it can start up. The 3 biggest issues i have right now is the harnes is a PITA, the abs box has thread issues, and the fuel lines arnt mounting up under the car like the should cuz the underneath design is diffrent between the lt1 ls1 cars. heres some pics on progress

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

UPDATE i got alot done today, but oh my god this thing is a ton of work i even had to cut the driver side sub frame and notch it for fuel lines spent an 2 hours doing that 15 gal compressor and cut off wheel dont like each other lol. Tomorrow im finishing the fuel lines from the subframe into the engine bay im routing them over the power brake booster, then deleting the evap and throwing the tank up there then the rear end. then its onto putting the motor and trans in. the OPTI came in the mail today along with the MSD stuff so its all ready to go i just need to check the head torque psi with someone elses tq wrench besides my own lol. heres some pics

the frame notch

Update 11/19/2009

FML I hate this car!

got the fuel lines run, the tank in pinched/kinked the smaller quick connect fuel line! got a lil more stuff to do tucking up the lines better. Working on the headlight wiring. Rearend is going up 1st thing in the morning. Motor and trans should be in by tomorrow night i hope. This thing is killing me lol. ive been doing all of it myself and its catching up with me and some asshole still hasnt brought me a tq wrench that ive been waiting on since saturday to check my heads and see if my tq did alright which i doubt it did.

UPDATE!

Update fuel system is all done rear end is up under and all hooked up. exhaust is done. the front end damage is all done. and im tired as hell heres the pics!

11/21/09 update motor and trans ready to go in tomorrow converter is now attached to the motor and the trans and motor is complete except the intake.

11/22/09 UPDATE!!!

THE MOTOR AND TRANS IS IN.....ITS ALMOST DONE!!!

BUT....

the transmisson crossmember for the lt1 wont bolt to the body, and the 3.8 v6 crossmember doesnt exactly fit the mount wont bolt to the tranny when sitting on the crossmember and ideas!!??

i havent figured out the fuel line issue ether just got the headers on though an its going to be way to close to the fuel lines

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

The car starts an runs has a high idle due to vac. ports being open but at least it runs and stays running on its own. thanks justin for coming buy and helping me out and for the abs system!

1st try!

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...ent=run002.flv

2nd actually running though.

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...ent=run001.flv

idle
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...idlevid001.flv

brakes are bled, it stops, trans is all wired and hooked up did a nasty tire roast in the driveway. seems to be running strong may drive it around tomorrow.

finally since the weather was nice we got to take the car out for a drive, i drove it first to make sure it was stopping an shifing good and having no issues, then took it around the block. Its NASTY the trans shifts so awesome and so firm and the stall is awesome. Cant really keep the tires under it ether. Car is MUCH faster feeling then my turd makes me angry but oo well. Awesome experience building it and shes happy, but im so glad its almost done.

start up an back out.

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...driveby001.flv

take off was running outta gas btw ended up dieing a few seconds later

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...driveby002.flv

progress is... a regress, motor is back out torn completly down, replacing the rockers and bearings, and cleaning out the block an putting it back in. then taking it to a dyno and having it tuned with the tuner cats software were buying. Then it will be ready for paint (still trying to get our hands on Trans Am side skirts and Rear hatch, and ram air hood). Color is going to be bright orange metalic (very close to SOM) laid over a white primer with 2 coats of clear. we are also trying to get ahold of weld prostars. But for now we were able to pick up a set of Corvette C5 wheels, 17s in the front 18s in the rear.

For now the interior is back in though dash an all going to have to pull the dash back out to put the ac ducting back in though. This car has been a ton of work and nothing but problems cant wait till the end.

Last edited by 95formula383lt1; 07-06-2010 at 06:29 PM.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Paul Edwards
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

well its been a while, and for personal reasons the old thread was deleted. The car is now going to be my own car, POPO8 just brought me down a very nice set of 295/30/18s, the motor is getting freshened up again right now. But the motor will be used in my black car till i get up on my feet to order rings gaskets an injectors for the 383. I know i forgot to add dates on some of the post of the time line but the car was built in 3 months from the day i got it pretty much to the day it started. i had many things go wrong including after the 1st start the VATS went out. I pretty much built this car by myself i had help with minor things from my EX, an MPE331LX cut the access panel helped with the VATS issue an welded the oil pump. Fire67 helped me adjust the rockers, slowdime helped with the 1st hone an block disassembly. And POPO8 help with basically giving me a bunch of parts, an other ppl on this site with much needed tech help info. thanks everyone who had there fingers in it.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Its a very impressive swap and alot of work that you have completed Paul.... It was my pleasure to help you out....

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast