PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy but not sure

ajonesz28
09-01-2009, 01:37 AM
i bought my first camaro salvage title with a lot of miles on it it was my first car and it was a 98 z28 for cheap but i ran it into the ground showing off and not taking care of it

So now im in the market for another camaro but this time a lt1 convertible
I see this 94 Lt1 Camaro z28 convertible for sale dude was asking 3300 he been trying to sell it 4 a while i give him a call we talk i said how bout i give you 2800 over the phone he said sure

i havent checked the car out yet cause its kinda far and i only got 2300 dollars
he says the car has 167,000 miles on it but it looks pretty good n the pics he showed

wat do you think about this deal i need some opinions cause i dont wanna loose my money

Huff035
09-01-2009, 06:14 AM
post up a couple of the pics they will really help us out.

Phstratton
09-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Fo sho...pics are necessary. I don't have that good of an imagination.

BLOWNDFIZ
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Do not buy something without seeing it in person. Cars in pictures can look 100 times better than they do in real life. You need to go see the car and negotiate the deal there. You offered $2800 for a car that might only really be worth $800... Obviously this was not a "done deal" but still. Go look at a car. I would never buy something sight unseen.

Huff035
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
I had a 95 T/A and sold it in Febuary for $3000 , had 125k miles. So that may give you a comparison.

ajonesz28
09-01-2009, 07:04 PM
the only reason i aint checked it out is cause i dont have a car right now and its in long beach and i stay in los angeles but hell yeah ima test drive it before i buy it

ajonesz28
09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
i also have another i was looking at i am going to show you guys the add

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1353522541.html

the only thing is i have to pay another 600 dollars for registration

Huff035
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM

Super rare! An auto and a 6spd manual! HOT DAMN jump on that

Might want to watch out on that ad...

5POINT7
09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
:hmm: 2 trannys in 1 car, Id call and ask him about it, he may have rushed with the ad and messed up

YZF
09-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Why do car salesmen fail so hard?

It all depends on the condition of the car. I picked up my super clean 80k mile 94Z for 4 grand. And it doesn't have chipped paint or 2 different transmissions.

popo8
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I dont understand why registration requires another 600 bucks....

Also, who ever is seling it would know... the LT1s dont make 300 hp.... and if it has work done to it, that should be listed....

The trans thing is funny but even worse.... you never wana buy a mechanics car... lets be honest.... if you work on cars all day long for money , last thing you want to do is work on your own for free or even worse when it costs you money.... MOST of the time mechaniccs cars are some of the most neglected vehicles around.... MOST OF THE TIME....

Fastbird
09-02-2009, 11:37 PM

"leather is cracking a little" My ASS. That seat is freaking destroyed. Pass.

Huff035
09-03-2009, 05:54 AM
I dont understand why registration requires another 600 bucks....

Also, who ever is seling it would know... the LT1s dont make 300 hp.... and if it has work done to it, that should be listed....

The trans thing is funny but even worse.... you never wana buy a mechanics car... lets be honest.... if you work on cars all day long for money , last thing you want to do is work on your own for free or even worse when it costs you money.... MOST of the time mechaniccs cars are some of the most neglected vehicles around.... MOST OF THE TIME....

Definitely going to agree with you on that one, I have an uncle who is a mechanic and even if he knows something is going wrong he just drives it until it can't be driven anymore...

ajonesz28
09-03-2009, 05:22 PM
are any of you guys scared of high mileage cars
say 170000
cause i know some person who just bought a 95 white on white convertible top camaro with only 75000 miles and its super clean but it its already starting to overheat with that low of miles so that makes me think low mileage cars aint no good either

5POINT7
09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I try to stay away from mechanics cars, mechanics "special" just doesnt sound right.

It all comes down to how it was maintained, but you really can never tell, because you most likely dont know the current owner, the best thing to do is look it over real good, or just wait a lil, better deals come around.

I bought my 94 M6 Ta with a 146k on the body
30k on a jasper rebuilt, ram clutch, and some other bolt ons, great body/paint, leather. w/ all receipts
for $3,300

popo8
09-03-2009, 08:37 PM
are any of you guys scared of high mileage cars
say 170000
cause i know some person who just bought a 95 white on white convertible top camaro with only 75000 miles and its super clean but it its already starting to overheat with that low of miles so that makes me think low mileage cars aint no good either

I remember someone on another thread on this board wrote something about factory life expectancy on LT1s ( if you rmember writting that post up please) being something like 170,000 miles before you can expect to do a rebuild/freshening...

MeanGreen94Z
09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
there are LT1s here that hav lasted well over 220k miles... onte is a 96 SLP SS same color as mine, only on its second clutch :) lol

Fixxer99TA
09-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Yes, how long it lasts is dependant on how it was maintained. Some make it 70k, some make it 120k, some even make it 200k+. If you put the time and effort into it, it really will pay off.

High mileage or Low mileage, little things or big things can happen either way. Proper care will get rid of some of those "larger" bills. Might even get you 200k+. I know its been said a million times, but really.. Its true.

...And seriously? Mechanics not giving a crap about the cars they own? Wow... They must really hate the job they do to not care anymore. Lets be honest, I wouldent let any tech touch my car that doesnt give a crap about his own. Regardless of skill level. Whos to say they wont halfass mine too?

You guys should find a few new mechanics, I invite you to come take a look at my stuff ;). And yes, I have been and will be a mechanic for a long time... I dont ever see myself not caring about something I paid cash for. Maybe I am just different?

popo8
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
........And seriously? Mechanics not giving a crap about the cars they own? Wow... They must really hate the job they do to not care anymore. Lets be honest, I wouldent let any tech touch my car that doesnt give a crap about his own. Regardless of skill level. Whos to say they wont halfass mine too?

You guys should find a few new mechanics, I invite you to come take a look at my stuff ;). And yes, I have been and will be a mechanic for a long time... I dont ever see myself not caring about something I paid cash for. Maybe I am just different?

And apparently you are the exception that I DID refer to in the initial comment.... look around you and see if that is how all AUTOMOTIVE TECHS are. Congrats man... you are a minority in your field.....

Fixxer99TA
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I am sad that I am, it really should not be this way. You are right though, from what I have seen most are.

But my point is, wouldent you steer clear of people like that?

Blubird
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
:hmm: 2 trannys in 1 car, Id call and ask him about it, he may have rushed with the ad and messed up

thats just extra weight you dont need haha

ajonesz28
09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Finally checked the camaro out in long beach you guys and it was a no go it seemed like it wanted to overheat he said he put a new thermostat. Since it was still was gettin hot I think something might be wrong nwith the car I'll just keep stacking money and keep searching for a z28